[TESTING] Kodi v20.1 builds

There is no problem concerning writing to sd- card, after reboot file is still there.
Maybe log is not created because of the crash that each time occurs after about 2 minutes?

I remember that I removed the old log, sorry…, tonight I will upload a new log…

The issue persists, as promised another log, this time with kodi.old.log:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ahoxedunew

For Pi issues: maybe @popcornmix can advise about this if you provide a sample clip.

Sam

Thanks for positive reports.

Usually users only report here when there are issues.

Although Kodi v20.0 was officially released at the end of January, we wanted to take time to make sure we had a very smooth release and also wait for the v20.1 point release to make sure that any release bugs upstream were also squashed.

Obviously time is also needed to support downstream features like 3D MVC; HDR tonemapping etc on Vero devices.

With any luck, we’ll be releasing this as a stable update by the end of the month unless something unexpected pops up.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

There are a couple of UI changes I’ve noticed which I’m not crazy about; they’re probably not OSMC-side changes, but I just thought I’d check.

1. In the YouTube add on, if I highlight an unplayed video without playing it, I no longer see the duration or video and audio data for the video on the left hand side - it’s only if the video has actually been played that the duration, etc. become visible. (And marking it as watched has no effect either, it has actually got to be played).

2. Again in YouTube, generated subtitles are displayed differently: where before I got a line of subtitles at once, now I get the shadow for the whole line at once, and it fills in the actual text one word at a time.

3. During playback of any video, if I bring up the UI and go into either the video or subtitle settings, it takes an extra couple of clicks to get into the menu as it used to be - you have to click right to move on to the cogwheel icon, then select again.

And two things that might actually be bugs:

1. I’m getting occasional error messages popping up about some IPTV add on (which I don’t even remember installing, but maybe I did). I haven’t managed to capture debug-enabled logs of this yet.

2. If I enable a “box” background for subtitles, the background is always displayed as fully opaque, irrespective of the opacity setting.

If y’all would like debug logs of anything except the 4th one, I can manage that.

Downloading and installing the packages (via the command line) on a Rpi-4 went without a hitch,add-ons are also working without any issues

Is there a changelog where we can see what’s new with this release?

Yes – Kodi release details are available on their blog at https://kodi.tv.

Sam

When using Box background you also need to adjust the Shadow opacity setting. I switched to Square box background because then the Background opacity setting works as expected.

Everything concerning the YouTube addon is strictly addon bound, so best to ask @anxdpanic :slightly_smiling_face: The addon doesn’t seem to be populating the info labels reliably in your test environment anymore. With the latest alpha addon version the duration is being populated here though. Audio and video info have never been populated before playback with youtube streams IIRC.

Regarding the OSD: Yes, this is a change I’ve introduced as most users will simply want to change the audio or subtitle track - this gives this option similar to other skins without the need for another fat dialog in between. To get to the point of changing an audio or subtitle track it took you a lot of clicks before - including having to open a selection dialog with a list to navigate through. Now it’s a lot simpler. Getting to the full settings dialogs requires a lot less clicks than this, but admittedly a bit more total clicks than before… A compromise I thought warranted for the goal aimed at.
The extra step is only shown when the video that’s being played back has more than one audio or subtitle track.

Upgraded on Vero 4k+. Upgrade was smooth, no issues to report. Am running Arctic Horizon 2 skin and Plexkodiconnect. Other than having to upgrade a PVR Addon manually (channels DVR), everything is working.

I think the following regarding forced subtitles is a Kodi bug but posting here for initial reaction.

For a long time I 've had the preferred subtitle language set to “Forced only”. My mkvs with forced subs are carefully authored so that the separate forced track (where available) has the “Forced display” flag set via mkvtoolnix. Such tracks will typically also have the “Default track” flag set to Yes via makemkv, but I add the Forced flag post-rip for improved cross-platform support and additional playback control. I only want forced display of subs if the forced flag is set. That way if I convert an off-air .ts recording to mkv, I don’t get the regular subs displayed just because there is a default flag set. With Kodi v19 this worked perfectly.

I’ve just noticed with Kodi v20 that I have files where it’s forcing the display of subtitles where the default track is flagged, even if the Forced flag has not been set. It’s doing this on the Vero and on my Shield, so presumably a Kodi bug. I’ve double checked vs ATV/Infuse and Infuse is correctly honoring the forced flag in its playback, but Kodi isn’t on the files in question.

Here is a log from playback of a sequence of an mkv file with two subtitle tracks (one full, the other forced only) where the forced flag is set to No for the forced track, and the Kodi language/subtitle setting is set to “Forced only”. During playback Kodi is showing the default subtrack when it shouldn’t be.

https://paste.osmc.tv/ujoliqonun

I tried an off-air .ts converted to mkv and behaviour was correct, so I wonder if the issue is coming up with files that have more than one subtitle track, and the flag parsing is failing in some way.

I think there was some changes in Kodi 20 to how forced subs work and potentially that introduced a bug in the “forced only” setting your using. I would try setting that to English and see if your issue goes away.

I’ll see if I can post this on the Kodi forum then. The practical impact of this issue seems limited, but if a file has multiple subtitle tracks and none of them has a forced flag, I’d exect the Forced only option in Kodi to respect that. Normally I would never have noticed this as I typically complete authoring prior to first playback in Kodi, and if I see the forced subs during playback then all is good. But this week I happened to play a file for which the forced sub track had not yet been tagged in mkvtoolnix, and to my surprise the subs appeared.

Apologies for another post, does anyone know how I contact a Kodi forum administrator to issue a password reset in the event that the password reset process fails to send an email? I’ve done this twice now, to reset my account on the forum, and no email received, even though according to the forum page, I’ve completed the process.

Be aware that some of the behavior of subs may not be what one may assume and can be a bit confusing. For example a forced flag (which properly means a sub track that contains only translations for dialog that is in a different language than the playing audio track) working properly is reliant on the audio language tag also being set and is only forced when the language for audio track and forced sub are the same (hopefully I’m remembering this correctly). The “forced” doesn’t mean that it is always displayed, despite the name.

thanks, I am evaluating the forced subs in the context you describe, i.e. only for foreign language scenes where the main audio language matches the sub language. I just looked at one of the many Marvel films that have such subs, and on a 19.4 Pi Kodi is acting as I remembered, i.e. if there are multiple sub tracks and none has a forced flag, then the Forced only option in Kodi results in no subtitles being automatically activated. This has broken in v20. So this does look like a Kodi 20 bug, albeit one that perhaps is unlikely to manifest itself to many users in a negative way.

Is the AEStreamInfo: Support EAC3 independent + EAC3 (dependent) streams by popcornmix · Pull Request #23217 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub fix included in this release ? It the git it is marked as v21 omega.

1 Like

Updated my Vero 4K, and zero issues so far!