[TESTING] Linux 4.9 for Raspberry Pi

Can someone with Pi0 or Pi1 do some testing?

No early Pis here but works on my Pi2 :slight_smile:

I’m getting the same Kodi startup error as in post #12: corrupted double-linked list

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo systemctl start mediacenter
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo systemctl status mediacenter
● mediacenter.service - media center application
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mediacenter.service; disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-05-31 15:08:01 BST; 11s ago
 Main PID: 622 (mediacenter)
   CGroup: /system.slice/mediacenter.service
           └─622 /bin/bash /usr/bin/mediacenter

May 31 15:08:06 osmc mediacenter[622]: ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
May 31 15:08:06 osmc mediacenter[622]: *** Error in `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin': corrupted double-linked list: 0x038d9ef0 ***
May 31 15:08:06 osmc mediacenter[622]: Kodi exited with return code 134 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 5 seconds

So either kodi.bin really is corrupt or there’s some other legacy from running with the bad kernel.

Anyone care to give me an md5 of kodi.bin on a Pi 2/3?

osmc@osmc:~$ md5sum /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin
cea59f22fcb833c13bcd0b61e5aac356 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin

Try sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-mediacenter-osmc

Thanks, that matches what I have, so not kodi.bin itself.

Reinstall the next step… It seems to have worked. I’ll test it when I get home.

Everything I installed from the App Store works. The Youtube addon I installed works.

Do you want us to test something specific @sam_nazarko?

EDIT: Adding the same disk attached via usb on the Vero 4k hung the rpi3, and it became very hot.

Logs here: https://paste.osmc.tv/zuxicujihe

Since I know my rpi3 might be faulty (notice the “usb 1-1-port2: over-current change” spam) I wonder if it can still be a valid candidate to test the new kernel without giving false positives.

Pi1 (B+) seems to work just fine too.

I’ve only done the most basic or testing so far but it boots, I can update my library and scrape the content and I can play back movies as well as home videos and pictures.

imho push it, stable enough :slight_smile:

You realise you’ll be press-ganged into full-time support if it all goes bad on us. :wink:

atleast for rpi is good enough been pushing in my usual style doing my modifications using peripherals not included in the OSMC Distro and its all holding.

I tried to give the 4.9 kernel a good workout today by compiling mediacenter-osmc but it failed:

<snip>
Updating sources
Sources updated successfully
Package armv7-toolchain-osmc is already installed in the environment
Installing /etc/resolv.conf
Installing /etc/network/interfaces
chroot: failed to run command ‘/usr/bin/make’: No such file or directory
Makefile:8: recipe for target 'rbp2' failed
make: *** [rbp2] Error 127
osmc@osmc:/media/29GB/osmc/package/mediacenter-osmc$

That was for a make rbp2. Since I’ve never compiled mediacenter-osmc on the Pi before, I let it go and tried to compile connman, which has worked in the past.

<snip>
Updating sources
Sources updated successfully
Package armv7-toolchain-osmc is already installed in the environment
Installing /etc/resolv.conf
Installing /etc/network/interfaces
chroot: failed to run command ‘/usr/bin/make’: No such file or directory
Makefile:8: recipe for target 'armv7' failed
make: *** [armv7] Error 127
osmc@osmc:/media/29GB/osmc/package/connman-osmc$ 

The same error, this time for make armv7. Looks like it could be something related to chroot.

I know I I’ve changed a few things on the box, including running the 2017.04-2 update, since I last compiled connman but the biggest change has been the 4.9 kernel.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this was a completely new git clone…

seems that its missing make in chroot, could be a script error in anycase thats kinda offtopic since this is about the package not the source :slight_smile:

Sam knows his build environment. The build script worked a few weeks ago, so the 4.9 kernel cannot be ruled out.

Try:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall armv7-toolchain-osmc

You probably got corruption when we had a dodgy kernel

Sam

Good call!

Unfortunately, it’s likely that there’ll be more iffy files, since I didn’t do anything remotely connected to compilations while the dodgy kernel was being used. I sense a reinstall looming on the horizon. :fearful:

Yup, best way to go forward unfortunately.
It’s the risks of testing.

Sam

That’s why I do nightly backups :wink:

Interestingly enough, so do I (thanks to your script, BTW), so less of the smug, please. :wink:

But since files that I’ve not touched seem to have been corrupted on an apparently random basis, it’s going to be quite a job figuring out which ones to restore. Plus… (pauses for effect), I only have 7 days’ worth of backups - and the kernel was installed 10 days ago. And who’s to say that the USB pendrive with the backups wasn’t blitzed, as well? Nope, a full reinstall is definitely on the cards.

Opportunity for a good spring clean, then. :slight_smile: