[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

I also tend to get some skipping in the bit about a minute before that, when the soldiers are marching across the arena behind the three lady singers.

Could well be. There are fireworks throughout the scene, so a lot of frames where hardly any pixel has the same value as the previous frame. The average bit-rate is already quite high because of it being 60 frames per second rather than 24.

Talking of bit-rate, Sam, what’s the highest bit-rate you would expect the Vero to be able to handle smoothly? I was checking the jellyfish demo clips earlier, and the one labelled as “250Mbps” was smooth, but the “300Mbps” clip wasn’t. Obviously that’s miles above the 4K blu ray spec, but even so, I think I remember it doing slightly better than that in the past. (But I could be wrong).

If memory serves — back in 2017 on a very early 3.14 kernel, 300Mbps was fine. 400Mbps was too much. I played back from the eMMC. You have no chance over Ethernet or USB storage.

Of course these numbers are academic – real world content won’t exist with such high bitrates.

Sam, on an unrelated note, I’m having an issue on this new kernel now where not all of my movies are present. It seems to top out at 1876 despite having 2238 movies. It could be an addon problem (Plex Kodi Connect) but it’s odd since even after re-scanning the entire library (where it even said e.g. 276/2238 as it scanned) it always ends up with 1876. Any thoughts on this? I even uninstalled and reinstalled the addon. No dice.

We need to see logs demonstrating a scan.

I’ll get to that. How does one properly clean up the addon? Even after removing it the Movies and TV folder still remain with all the artwork and titles that obviously won’t play anymore. I’d like to make sure it’s all fresh…

I’m wondering if there’s some cache that’s causing issues.

What addon?

There will be no wondering when the logs indicate the problem.

1 Like

Plex Kodi Connect.

Do you have movie set display turned on causing your movie count to appear to be different than what it should be?

I didn’t touch anything so I doubt it? Where would that option be?

settings>media>videos>show movie sets>

Should probably also check to make sure you are viewing all video and not just watched or unwatched (the option is normally found in the slideout menu)

1 Like

You’re a damn genius. Somehow the option to hide watched was toggled on. Sigh. Sometimes it’s the simplest explanations…

Thank you, sir.

And wow, I figured out why it happened. Prior to this kernel I would hold down/long press the OK button on my Harmony to bring up the contextual menu so I could mark a movie as watched/unwatched. Now holding down that button toggles watched/unwatched status for all movies! So that’s what happened.

How do I undo that change because that’s an issue for me, clearly!?

I think you are confusing “view” with “status”. If your harmony shows up as a keyboard, and you have a OSMC remote dongle plugged in, then there is a mapping added that will toggle the view on OK (enter) long-press, but that does not change the actual watched status. There is a seperate mapping for play long-press that does. If you had a custom keymap you had set to perform that action that should have overridden this new keymap. Check out my guide and if you can’t figure out how to get it working how you want then start a new thread for that issue.

I hear you. Sorry, I wasn’t confused - just typed my thoughts wrong (duh). It just toggles the view now - yes, when I hold down the OK button on my Harmony. I’ll try and figure out how to fix that, because it’s a pita now. Thanks.

FYI I don’t have any OSMC dongle plugged in. Just using the BT connection.

Edit:

This setting seems to have addressed this:

You can alternatively disable the custom keymap entirely by going to Settings>System>Input>Peripherals>OSMC RF Remote>Don’t use the custom keymap for this device>[enable] and then reboot Kodi.

If you didn’t have an OSMC remote dongle plugged in then that extra keymap wouldn’t load and you would not have even seen that setting.

1 Like

Aaaaand you’re wrong.

(You’re right. Fuuuu.)

This has been a rough week. No excuses.

Okay, Sam, I split my 2-minute test clip into three sections of 40 seconds each, and uploaded all three. At least one of them should skip a bit. (As I said, playing the full two minute clip I get over 300 frames skipped, even playing from flash memory).

Yeah, I thought I remembered the 300Mbps jellyfish clip playing smoothly. It definitely doesn’t now, even from flash storage. The 250Mbps clip is okay, though.

As you say, academic as far as it goes; I was just surprised that the maximum bitrate it can handle seems to have gone down slightly with the new kernel.

@sam_nazarko, I realised I haven’t actually posted logs for Billy Lynn yet. Always a chance there’s something weird about my setup. Here you go:

https://paste.osmc.tv/udawukiyof

I tested Gemini Man last night and it was silky smooth so there doesn’t seem to be an issue with UHD HFR per se.
It’s hard to put my finger on exactly what but there seems to be a marked improvement in picture quality in 4.9

That will be because of full metadata passthrough.

1 Like