[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

I’m not sure what, if anything my TV (Pana DX902) actually does with the MaxCLL / MaxFALL data, I am going to put some test patterns though later and have a look.
The improvement is pretty remarkable though, more than I expected :+1::+1:

Yep, and this will make a significant difference with higher-end projectors.

Now, if the Kodi high-bitrate Atmos problem and subtitles issues are resolved sometime in the next decade, I’ll have to buy Sam at least one beer. Maybe two.

I’ve managed to fix this issue playing HEVC MKVs by disabling amcodec.
What’s the preferred setting for amcodec with the 4.9 kernel?

AFAIK amcodec isn’t going to be present in Kodi 19 in any case.

Logs are here for when I had amcodec enabled:
https://paste.osmc.tv/usugegiyug

You need to enable debug logging.

Which issue?

I found the problem. I’ll fix it in the next update.

2 Likes

Thank you, Sam. Now it works flawlessly.

Can you add support for FTDI serial usb devices like arduino and so on? I will appreciate it :]

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question; if I follow the instructions to use this test update, are all the future updates automatic or do I need to do it all again each time there is an update?

Thanks

If you have automatic updates set and you leave sources.list with the testing repo in it you will get them automatically. When 4.9 goes on general release, you will need to change your sources.list back to standard.

1 Like

Thanks, so basically just follow the instructions the once and auto updates will do the rest.

I’ve pushed a new kernel. This should improve how we buffer so that it is more in line with 3.14.

Yes – for example, you should see another update shortly as I’ve pushed one today.

1 Like

What should that help with?

Playing back high bitrate files like Jellyfish and Halftime Walk

It improved a lot, could play only 140 mbps via nfs as max before, now it just played 300 mbps 4k uhd hevc 10 bit yellyfish via nfs (auto fs), with some buffering/stuttering in the beginning. Offcourse just as a test :nerd_face: Which before for sure only was able via emmc.

300Mbps jellyfish is still skipping a bit; it might be improved - it’s hard to be sure.

My Billy Lynn clip, however, doesn’t seem to have improved at all. Still losing 300 frames in 2 minutes.

You’re playing back the 10-bit HEVC version, right?

Are you playing that over the network?
Maybe you still have some network issues. I recall your iperf tests aren’t 100% up to scratch just yet.

No, from local flash storage.

Check those three 40-second clips I uploaded - they’re the result of splitting my two-minute clip into three pieces with mkvtoolnix.