[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Thanks, I’ll check this.

Question - Is there a setting somewhere to enable the HDR to SDR conversion or adjust the tone mapping on a per title basis? I’m not seeing much difference in kernel 4.9 compared to 3.14 (which as already quite decent, albeit still a bit on the dark side).

1 Like

For now, this could be adjusted by the command line.

We will look at tone mapping in more detail soon

Sam

1 Like

At the moment, i´ll don´t install this update, i´ll wait for a stable version. I’ll keep an eye out for updates.

Where can I download the source code of the 4.9 project. According to the GPL you need to give access to the sources.

Thank you very much but it doesn’t contain the recent linux 4.9 code which is in this build.

The package and the kernel source are both missing for vero364-image-4.9.113-7-osmc_7_arm64.deb.

@angry.sardine, many thanks. Can you check if m2ts playback is working for you if you change the GUI to 1080p23.98?

Yes, that makes it work.

Thanks for testing. Then I think I know what the problem is.

Does this only apply to 3d or also to “mine” m2ts issues which we had in first 2 test version (start, then lost vision, black screen, and then continue)?

Well, you can try. Chances are that it’s not 3d related at all.

That sounds rather like a long-standing issue that affects 3.14 as well, where it takes several seconds to switch to the correct refresh rate after you start playing an m2ts file. (The screen goes black for a few seconds when it finally decides to switch).

Well, After test version 3 it was gone, it reappeared in version 6 and 7.

So I tested is with gui on 1080p23,98: then 1080p m2ts file doesn’t have the effect anymore, putting gui back to 1080p60 it comes up again. Playing mkv first and then m2ts its reproducable.

4k m2ts still has the effect, with both gui settings.

That is what I’ve expected. I’m confident that it’s the same root cause.

You can download a source tarball for now.

We need permission from AMLogic to publish full Git history.

1 Like

Yes – ffmpeg seems to be struggling to find the correct refresh rate, so falls back to current GUI refresh rate.

This is why setting the resolution in Kodi manually is working.

1 Like

Thank you can you share the link of the tarball

I have sent you the tarball URL.

In the near future with builds, we’ll be adding the Debian sources and headers packages as well – so you’ll be able to use these for sources directly.

We’ll be doing some new builds shortly anyway

Cheers,

Sam

1 Like

Thank you Sam, your download link seems incredibly slow can you use a faster mirror. It says 5KB/s