[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Unfortunately not. There is no upgrade path at this time.
You will need to reinstall.

Any way to go back to the stable build without reinstall from scratch ?

No.

I’m confused, this test build is KODI 18.6 - the latest stable is KODI 18.7. To go to 18.7 - why is this a “downgrade”?

with the june “strech” update release you end up with 18.7.

But i believe when you want to have 3D back working there is a need to install a previous version.

I’m on test 4.9 myself including 18.7.

This is a post about upgrading to a newer kernel, not newer Kodi version.

Ah, ok, the “stable” version have still the 3.x kernel?

correct.

Before doing a full reinstall then, do we use “My OSMC” to do a backup that we can then use to reinstate all our settings, or is this not valid when going back to an earlier kernel?

That backup should be fine as it only deals with Kodi userdata and nothing from the OS. If there is system mounts or other modifications that were done outside of Kodi then that backup will not save or restore those parts of your configuration.

will the missing or false 3D flag problem https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22720#p94647 of makmkv 1.15.2 patched in OSMC or should i have to reencode my 3D MVC’s? If it will be patched - is there a date for an interims testbuild with this patch?

This was already fixed.
It will be in the next build.

Sorry you know and shurely hate the next question (it will be ready when it is ready :-)) - but is the next testbuild ready in the near future?

When it’s ready :slight_smile:

There are at least two issues remaining before we can release Buster (Samba and LIRC related).

2 Likes

The repository is now disabled until a Buster version is made available shortly. This is to prevent users from partially upgrading and ending up with a broken system.

2 Likes

Does this mean we have to edit the sources to remove the mentioned added line?

1. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  2. Remove the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv videoimprovevero main

Or will this buster release come on top of 4.9?

I’ve removed the repository to prevent users from partially upgrading their packages and having an unusable system.

You should remove the line to prevent errors when using the updater

No

1 Like

So, @sam_nazarko, do we have any idea how long it might be before there’s an upgrade path for 4.9 users?

Am I right that, if I get impatient, I can do a complete reinstall of OSMC and go back to the mainstream version that way?

And if people want to retain frame-packed 3D playback, will they need to stay on 4.9, or will the mainstream Buster build be 3D-enabled?

With any luck, this should be solved within the next 48 hours. A lot of care has been taken to ensure a smooth upgrade path to Buster and 4.9 and a smooth upgrade path from this setup to Buster stable when 4.9 becomes integrated in to the stable Buster repository.

I will update the original post with detailed instructions on how to upgrade to both Buster and 4.9 (official Buster will still stay 3.14 to ensure a completely stable release).

When you see the Buster announcement post, it also means that 4.9 is ready.

After this, then happy to field any more questions.

Sam

6 Likes

This probably won’t affect very many people, but with the depository removed, presumably it’s not currently possible for a new Vero 4K+ user to get 3D working (because they won’t be able to install 4.9).

Also, someone who has the latest 4.9 version installed and wants to enable 3D used to be able to do

sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero3-mediacenter-osmc=18.6.0-13

to get back to a 3D build. With the depository gone, that command no longer works.

I imagine there are a few places on this forum outside this thread that recommend those procedures for people wanting 3D - is it worth adding a note to them, saying that 3D will be inaccessible to new users for a couple of days?