[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

That just means you installed an older version of the package, which won’t work with the new secureOS we just released

Just smoothly upgraded to Buster with 3D and 4K Video now playing fine. However after upgrading to the latest System, then to Buster the remote control commands returned to the default Vero 4K+ remote. However I could not change the default remote back to Xbox 360 using the updated Remotes Screen in MyOSMC. Has anybody else experienced this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Well the OzWeather app creater has thrown it back to you here

2020-09-21 15:22:56.239 T:3367997664 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<-- - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS! Error Type: <class 'socket.gaierror'> Error Contents: [Errno -2] Name or service not known Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/default.py", line 327, in <module> getForecast() File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/default.py", line 309, in getForecast forecast(locationUrlPath, radar) File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/default.py", line 226, in forecast buildImages(radarCode, updateRadarBackgrounds, backgroundsPath, overlayLoopPath) File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/resources/lib/bom.py", line 201, in buildImages ftp = ftplib.FTP("ftp.bom.gov.au") File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ftplib.py", line 120, in __init__ self.connect(host) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ftplib.py", line 135, in connect self.sock = socket.create_connection((self.host, self.port), self.timeout) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 557, in create_connection for res in getaddrinfo(host, port, 0, SOCK_STREAM): gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known -->End of Python script error report<--

So what do I do to reproduce a problem?
I’m willing to test firsthand.

Install the OzWeather app and it won’t work?

Struggling to see what changes could possibly cause this in our side. A kernel update (which is what this post is about), will certainly not be the cause.

That looks like DNS resolution failure to me.

I run ozweather and have no issues since the upgrade

It was working fine before the upgrade.
I did also enable the DoT encrypted DNS servers to my router and given your comment about DNS that might be it. Must admit I’m struggling to force the Vero to use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 for DNS…

You could try to ping the ftp server from OSMC. SSH in and:

ping -c1 ftp.bom.gov.au

You won’t get a response to the ping, but you should get something like this:

osmc@yeti:~$ ping -c1 ftp.bom.gov.au
PING ftp.bom.gov.au (134.178.253.145): 56 data bytes

--- ftp.bom.gov.au ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

That will show if you are getting DNS resolution.

Bad Ping Address!!

So you have a local DNS problem. I did the above test from my Vero running Buster. Can you ping (or better ftp) to ftp.bom.gov.au from your Windows (or other) system?

1 Like

yes it resolves the IP address both on windows and on a different linux debian box

Are you using same DNS server on those?

Why do you want to do that? And more importantly why do you struggle to do so?

if I

sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head

and add nameserver 1.1.1.1 and nameserver 8.8.8.8 on seperate lines
then

sudo resolvconf -u

then

cat /etc/resolv.conf

shows the correct name servers but they seem to revert to the router shortly after.
When it shows the correct name servers it then resolves

So the ones you (or your router) distribute via DHCP are not working?
Then I suggest to use static IP configuration instead of DHCP.

they use the router DNS settings

because I was assuming that the OSMC server does not like DNS vit DoT and was trying to force it to use the cloudflare/google dns servers. Why do I struggle? because there doesn’t seem to be any straight forward guide on how to change the DNS server I can find.

I’d be happy to do that. How?

MyOSMC - Network - Wired - Configure Manual

3 Likes

ah!!! I didn’t even THINK of looking there…

BLOODY HELL IT WORKS!!!

THANKS!!

1 Like

OK. I think I have a problem here though and it doesn’t seem that I’ve messed up something that much or maybe I did but don’t know how :slight_smile:

So as you are aware, yesterday I reinstalled `vero3-userland-osmc’ watched some videos and everything was fine.
Today I’ve watched a HEVC video that seemed a to stutter in a few scenes. At the end of the movie I started skipping a few times and then the decoded video became just a green screen (the interface of the Kodi so the play/stop etc. buttons and so on were rendered properly) . I tested on another video H264 this time and again green screen instead of picture.
After restart, the video is not rendering at all and in the logs I see the same messages about TEE fw loading failed.

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/uzaguhufis

Great news upgrade path to stable will be available! So I will install this version tonight :-). Great to have 3D MVC enabled again. You make me very happy.