[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Thanks for confirming. I know the cause of the problem. I need to think about a fix. The issue is solved for some displays, which makes the problem a bit more confusing. I’ll take a stab at this in the next couple of days and send you a PM with some test builds soon.

Awesome. Really appreciate it. Thank you

1 Like

I don’t want to increase noise just reporting success 2020-06 to buster-4.9 on my old HD ready projector but with 4k media, over automounted NFS and WiFi.
Will also test 4k and HDR one my second OSMC arrives. :blush:

1 Like

I left my Vero 4K overnight turned on while the TV’s off. Turned TV back on today and no video whatsoever. I tried cold booting (unplug and plug back in) several times and no video. Not even a logo screen.

Fortunately I was able to SSH to it. Here’s the log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/cewalikexu

Should I install a fresh copy of OSMC or wait for instructions on what other info you need from it?

I’ll check shortly. Whether you want to reinstall or not depends on your patience.

Sam

1 Like

Well this is embarassing…
https://paste.osmc.tv/teziboceca
But it seems to be working fine now. I am having an issue with my weather provider but I sent them this log as well…

That happened to me some weeks ago, too. But a cold boot solved that problem for me. And i was not able to reproduce it. Maybe the cold boot has to be a “real” cold boot, because my Vero was on only for a couple of hours (and TV off) when it happened. So I’d suggest unplug the Vero, let it cool down and then try again.

It’s documented in this thread :joy: … I still have my todo list and there I’ve noted some of the fixes. I’ll have a look at that list later today and will post what I find.

I turn off my TV every night and leave the Vero on. And I get video every morning when I turn the TV back on.

Do you use the suspend feature?

That would seem like an overheating problem. With the built in protection that seems really odd.

I’ll wait a bit in case you need me to check anything about it.

Ah. I’ll try this. Thanks, @tanio99!

I don’t use suspend anymore @bmillham

One question before I install this test version. I have been using the 4.9 kernel (to use 3D) before and it was fine, but due to other reasons I switched back to latest stable version some time ago.

When I install this buster/4.9 test version, will it be possible to upgrade to stable buster/4.9 version at a later moment or do I need to do a complete a re-install at that moment? I do realize a re-install is necessary for a downgrade, but what if buster/4.9 stable release is released?

@tanio99 you’re correct. Left it unplugged for an hour and turned right back on. Thanks :smile:

Here’s the list of things I’ve fixed since the last testbuild:

• fixed hardware decoder underrun issue (reproducible with the ‘Tyler Rake’ sample)
  • fixed issues with small frame sizes where Kodi stopped sending data because it thought the hardware decoder has enough material to start decoding
  • fixed an issue where the decoder turned off video output if a corrupt stream was detected (reproducible with the ‘lagoon’ sample)
  • 3D subtitle depth issues (thanks to @angry.sardine for his testing help)
  • fixed an issue with the latest makemkv tool which did not store the ‘private data’ of 3D MVC streams as it used to
  • fixed garbage playback of 3D MVC if the file is named like whatever.3D.MVC.mkv (and probably no stereoscopic type set)
  • fixed an issue when playing an SDTV followed by a 3D MVC stream resulted in garbled video output
  • fixed a race condition in the Kodi logging module which could crash Kodi during shutdown
4 Likes

Hi.

I’ve a bit of a problem with the new beta I’ve upgraded yesterday to due to having some problems with scenes hanging with VP9 (via yt plugin) and hevc.
The first time I started the player after the upgrade I got a greenish screen when started the first video, all others were the same. Then after the reboot from the Kodi interface I’ve manged to play some files.
After putting the player to sleep and starting again, as soon as I started skipping the file a was watching a few times the screen or rather the picture from the decoder turned green.
Now I get only the black screen no matter what the file is.

All of the time (with one exception) the rest of the Kodi interface during playback is rendered properly, so it doesn’t seem like the problem is somewhere in the video decoding/rendering part of the process.

One thing I notice in dmesg is:
[ 148.516973] 0: MH264 the TEE fw loading failed, err: ffff000

The full log is here: https://paste.osmc.tv/ipefizoxiv

Let me know if you need any more info :slight_smile:

apt reinstall vero3-userland-osmc did the trick for getting rid of [ 148.516973] 0: MH264 the TEE fw loading failed, err: ffff000, still interesting what was the root cause. For now everything seems fine.

Your userland package was either outdated or not installed properly, which meant that the video ucode was not being loaded properly.

Yes. The plan was to provide a smooth upgrade.
In fact, you’ll just remove the ‘videoimprovevero49’ repository and update as normal.

Yup, I may have messed up something as I had to downgrade the mediacenter package at some point. What was strange is that upgrade via apt was successful and no problems occurred. Thanks for checking and explanation.