[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Not necessarily. What that shows is that mediainfo has worked out it’s ‘progressive’. I have clips here which mediainfo says are progressive but the metadata in each frame says interlaced and, I think, vice versa.

That’s the annoying thing about mediainfo, it processes what it reads rather than giving you the raw data.

I just pulled up the mediainfo for a range of different file types, and the metadata it displays does not seem always to be consistent with what I know of the content, so I can imagine it must be difficult to code a bullet-proof Auto mode. So if we could have a GUI-level option to bypass deinterlacing for all codecs, those of us who care about it can enjoy the benefit, and everyone else has a safe Auto mode that gives decent playback in almost all cases, albeit playback that won’t achieve the highest PQ compared to bypass, when the content is truly progressive at source. This is what is already available on the Pi, and would be a reasonable compromise solution?

I’ll see what can be done but it’s more complicated than you might think. The decoder is responsible for sorting out the video fields/frames and feeding them in the right order to the deinterlacer. The deinterlacer does the interpolation between fields, looking for patterns like 3:2 pulldown. If you turn off the deinterlacer, you just get a weave but that didn’t solve the problem with the Tardis’ pipework. We had to tell the decoder that clip was progressive so it fed two fields at a time to the deinterlacer. For VC-1, the deinterlacer is still in circuit, even when you ‘turn deinterlacing off’. That may be why @angry.sardine sees 24fps from his ‘60i’ clip.

Note that the definition of interlaced in the codec specs is that the two fields of a frame have different timestamps. But I suppose on a disc the fields are sent one after the other but with the same timestamp if the original stream was progressive. The fields should therefore be tagged as progressive for the decoder to work properly. I think that’s something MakeMKV etc struggle with. If anyone of you deinterlacing experts knows better, let me know.

One very minor issue with the new “deinterlacing off” option - it doesn’t seem to be possible to capture a screenshot of it working! If I take a screenshot, I can still see stair-stepping that isn’t visible on screen during playback.

I have another problem since I think the second last update. My Vero 4K+ freezes quite often after not using it for a while. I have to unplug the power to get it responsive again. It does give a picture but just doesn’t respond to the remote. Just had it again, but I used is last night.

I don’t know how to make a log for this as it is quite random. I did not have this problem before. Ik am on the latest updates.

Just upload a log after it happens and you rebooted

Worked for me New AVR - and some blank screen issues - #42 by grahamh

That’s what’s frustrating - every stream seems to be different in subtle ways.

Updating through SSH gives me this message. It’s so tempting, but I figured I better make sure it’s not going to blow up in my face.

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
armv7-libass-osmc armv7-libnfs-osmc dh-python g+±6 gnupg-agent libbind9-140 libcdio13 libcryptsetup4
libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdns162 libenca0 libevent-2.0-5 libfile-copy-recursive-perl libgdbm3 libical2 libicu57
libisc160 libisccc140 libisccfg140 libiso9660-8 liblvm2app2.2 liblwres141 libncurses5 libntfs-3g871 libperl5.24
libprocps6 libpython3.5-minimal libpython3.5-stdlib libssl1.0.2 libstdc+±6-dev libtinfo-dev libunistring0
libwebpmux2 python-imaging python3.5 python3.5-minimal update-inetd vero364-headers-4.9.113-19-osmc:arm64
vero364-headers-4.9.113-20-osmc:arm64
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.

That looks fine.

The OSMC updater (My OSMC) will clean packages for you automatically.

Sam

@sam_nazarko, did I understand correctly (from something you said in another thread) that you are enabling Digital Noise Reduction by default in 4.9? If so, I’m curious as to why, and also wonder if there will eventually be a UI option to control that.

A quick message I assume this is related to the latest version of this stack.

I was on a May 4.9 release Linux osmc 4.9.113-20-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 15 17:37:55 UTC 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I was trying to diagnose an irregular sad face which usually happened when starting to play/resume video.

I thought I’d do an update, went into My OSMC and updated. It then rebooted downloaded a lot more updates then on the final restart (log output printing over the startup screen), it’s now stuck in a sad face boot loop.

I can’t turn on logging as it doesn’t get that far, I can’t even SSH due to the constant rebooting? Any thoughts or am I just going to have to flatten it?

Sad Face is not a reboot that is normally only the mediacenter restarting.
Have you tried to login via SSH?

You will need to update the repository list as mentioned in the first post on this thread

Then update via command line and things should work

Sam

1 Like

Ahem, thanks both, teach me not to read the instructions :grin:

I’ll see if it fixes my issue which I believe is this error ERROR: CAEStreamInfo::GetDuration - invalid stream type even though after a restart it’ll play just fine. Anyway, I shall do more debugging and repost if it continues.

I have edited the source list as described in the first post… do I have to do anything now that buster is officially released?

Are this improvements included in the buster update released last night?

Same thing happened to me after the update. Sadface loop. Trying to connect to SSH doesnt work, i suppose i need to do a clean install? Or there’s a way to avoid this?

Regards,
Johnny

If you can’t access the command line, you will likely need to reinstall.

1 Like

Hey if u have usb keyboard, you can try to boot to command line as @sam_nazarko said

Recovery console

When you see OSMC blue screen hold CTRL and it takes you to command line. Check there what you have in sources nano /etc/apt/sources.list with first post in this thread. After all save and try update manually.

If it didnt work you will have to do clean installation probably.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, i dont have a keyboard so i did a clean install :slight_smile:

Is there a way to downgrade back to 18.8? 3d mvc not working anymore?