[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

Good to know, thanks!

Its exactly the same as linux mate, the file can be found in:
~/.ssh/known_hosts

OK, took an hour to download it but same problem stuck at 720p when direct to the Panasonic TV. Like said OK through AVR. If don’t turn off Vero 4K+ when plugged direct to TV it does stay at 1080p. But loses it after a reboot.
https://paste.osmc.tv/ewiluqeyuv

I’ve grabbed the logs with the issues with m2ts files:
https://paste.osmc.tv/bapiponumu

• The first time on this logs I try to continue watching the video in the point it stopped last time. The video doesn’t start.
  • Later I started the film from the begining, it worked, first time I forward a bit, and worked, but next time, I try two times to forward, and it stopped “loading…”

Maybe this logs could help you debugging.

Well, the latest update means I can either have passthrough audio OR AAC/MP3 audio working, but not both. To get AAC/MP3 I have to set the Output Configuration to Fixed, but if I do that, the Passthrough options disappear from the menu and then I get no sound from videos with AC3 audio. If I set the Output Configuration to Best Match or Optimized, the passthrough options come back in the settings (and I can do passthrough), but I can’t hear AAC/MP3 files any more.

The only way to get sound everywhere is to disable passthrough and set the Output Configuration to Fixed. But that means Kodi is transcoding all the audio, and then my soundbar doesn’t show when I’m doing DTS (for instance).

Does it still happen if you play it from the file manager in settings from the system mount you made. You didn’t add a path substitution to make your current sources use that path and your log only shows you playing from the library using Kodi paths…

NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: nfs://192.168.1.100/volume1/Public/Multimedia/Peliculas/13 Horas Los Soldados Secretos de Bengasi/BDMV/index.bdmv

And it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to check your connection with iperf just to make sure there is not a connection issue.

This is the iperf results:

Connecting to host 192.168.1.100, port 5201
[ 4] local 192.168.1.50 port 45718 connected to 192.168.1.100 port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Retr Cwnd
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 113 MBytes 944 Mbits/sec 21 154 KBytes
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 107 MBytes 901 Mbits/sec 13 211 KBytes
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 112 MBytes 940 Mbits/sec 6 270 KBytes
[ 4] 3.00-4.01 sec 111 MBytes 929 Mbits/sec 11 205 KBytes
[ 4] 4.01-5.00 sec 111 MBytes 939 Mbits/sec 14 184 KBytes
[ 4] 5.00-6.01 sec 101 MBytes 846 Mbits/sec 3 250 KBytes
[ 4] 6.01-7.00 sec 99.5 MBytes 838 Mbits/sec 5 209 KBytes
[ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 107 MBytes 895 Mbits/sec 8 238 KBytes
[ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 86.9 MBytes 728 Mbits/sec 7 277 KBytes
[ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 106 MBytes 889 Mbits/sec 28 197 KBytes

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Retr
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.03 GBytes 885 Mbits/sec 116 sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.03 GBytes 883 Mbits/sec receiver

I tried mounting via nfs and testing from file explorer like you told me:

systemd-1 on /mnt/synology type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=33,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=13017)

The problem was exactly the same, so I didn’t the path substitution because I think that this isn’t the problem, anyway I’ll do in the next minutes and post the result.

Thanks for your help.

Well, I had to reformat the Vero 4K+ and go back to the 3.x kernel. DTS passthrough wouldn’t play either no matter what I did. So I won’t be able to help with trouble shooting, but I sure hope this gets resolved before the 4.x kernel ships.

Here’re the logs with the collection mounted via fstab:
https://paste.osmc.tv/onavejaged

I tried this time 13 soldiers of benghazi and Aquaman, both with UHD bluray structures and m2ts files, which are having the problems.

@Bort1
Did you get anywhere with your USB gigabit ethernet adaptor?
I’ve just installed the latest 4.9 and my adaptor has also stopped working

@CaptainMoody

Sorry but no, I’m gone back to the native ethernet port - hadn’t much time to play with the external GB adapter…

Hope this will resolved later in the testing process…

Thanks for letting me know.

I tried two videos and the both crashed the vero on stop with a sad face and reboot as well.
Would love to help with testing but with everybody stuck indoors we are are quite reliant on it!

Back to the the March update…

Can you please upload some debug logs so we can investigate this?

Seems unlikely to be networking then so this log would be for @sam_nazarko to look at.

I’ve tested this here as well. All passthrough formats are working fine and FLAC as well as MP3 files are played back and passed on as PCM without any issues. I’m using the default audio device with ‘Best match’ selected.
There shouldn’t be any difference between a 4K and a 4K + when it comes to this.

Logs would be useful as it seems it’s not a general issue, but one specific to your setup.

There’s a log file in this post of the AAC files not having any sound.

That log doesn’t have the problem with the audio passthrough settings disappearing, but maybe it’ll help. I’ve reverted to the 3.x kernel for now, so more testing will require me to update again (which I’m willing to do if the other logs show something useful). BTW, I did try deleting the GUI settings file, but that didn’t help. The one thing I didn’t try was deleting the entire Kodi folder and starting from scratch (which I really don’t want to do).

Then don’t delete it! Simply rename it and test with a fresh config. If nothing is solved then you can revert.

2 Likes

OK, I updated to the 4.x kernel again and things are worse now than before. I still have all the sound problems, but now in addition the Vero 4K+ will only allow me to set the TV to 720p or 480p. Here are logs. I renamed the .kodi folder, and tried again (same results), so this about as vanilla as it comes. I’m wondering if I’ve got an EDID problem (which might explain the sound issues too). I have a 7.5 year old Vizio TV with a 5 year old Vizio sound bar between the Vero 4K+ and the TV.

I tried removing the soundbar from the path, and that at least gets me 1080p again, but I have the same problem with sound. If I set the Output configuration to Fixed all the passthrough options disappear from the settings menu. Also, even with fixed output, the speaker config has to be set to 5.1 or I get no sound at all even from MP3/AAC files.

I took a peek at the logs (which are from when the soundbar was in the loop), and in the EDID section my TV is not reporting the manufacturer name, and the EDID version is reported as 0.0. That seems less than ideal. I’m going to reformat the Vero 4K+ again and go back to the 3.x kernel. Right now I literally can’t get any sound and can only use 720p if the soundbar is plugged in.

Probably worth noting that things were sort of OK with the kernel from early yesterday (had to set sound output to Fixed, but at least that allowed both passthrough and AAC/MP3), but whatever update came out last night/early this morning (for me) to help with someone else’s EDID issue borked mine.

Soundbar in loop:
https://paste.osmc.tv/xuvequbava

Direct to TV:
https://paste.osmc.tv/ajizufevag

EDIT: I reverted back to the 3.x kernel and checked the settings. It turns out that if you set the Output configuration to FIXED even there that passthrough options disappear. But with the 3.x kernel when I have that set to Best Match and passthrough enabled, my AAC/MP3 files do play. So I’m back to my original problem with the 4.x kernel. AAC/MP3 files have no sound output if Output configuration is set to BEST MATCH (the default). They ONLY work with FIXED (which breaks the passthrough).

If you unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in to the soundbar after boot, I suspect the video modes will re-appear.

It’s a race condition on boot, which is why it only seems to be a problem sometimes. Looking in to it now.

Hello everybody, I have just get a Vero 4k + and would like to update the linux kernel in order to watch my 3d mkv movies. The actual linus version is 3.14.29-157-osmc and my understanding is that I need 4.9. Therefore I read this thread. As I am completely new to OSMC / Linux I have no idea how to go on with steps 3 and 4. I was able to open the command line via keyboard but then was stuck. Thank you in advance!