[TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +

My father is getting this on 4k titles so you’re not alone. I’m unable to grab logs though as he ends up rebooting the box when this happens and isn’t good at letting me know when. Hopefully it’ll be sorted soon.

Only just saw this. Logs will still be useful after a re-start as I think the journal will still show what happened just before the end of kodi.old.log.

I may be wrong :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the user would need to enable persistent journalling for that.

my bad

Following on from this - I’ve reverted back to the 3.14 kernel which I know works for me. I’ve had a user PM me asking if docker works on the new kernel yet as he’s stuck also to which I’ve explained it doesn’t (only if you use network ‘host’ mode, which most people don’t).

In the spirit of trying to help fix an issue that’s now affecting other users, I’ve run the docker ‘check_config.sh’ script on both old and new kernels so we can see what the differences are. As I mentioned the ‘CONFIG_VETH’ being missing on the new kernel appears to be the cause of my issue with dockercompose not working but I can’t guarantee what else is definitely needed for docker to run in this configuration - maybe the Vero developers can copy what’s showing as enabled in the results checker for the old kernel over to the new kernel? I’ve no idea if it’s as simple as just doing that.

3.14.29-160 kernel: https://pastebin.com/2d9zMypD

4.9.113.29 kernel: https://pastebin.com/UXwVMRwi

1 Like

I’ll look at this for the next kernel update.

@ Those who are having the ‘green screen’ issue, is there anything I can do to assist with this as my dad’s Vero4k keeps suffering from this issue. My box is running on 3.14 but I can upgrade to 4.9 to try and capture logs etc if required?

This issue doesn’t affect 3.14 users and is only introduced with the 4.9 test builds.
It’s likely a separate issue that should have its own post.

Yeah this is it, I’m on the 3.x kernel so do not experience the issue but am happy to upgrade to 4.9 to reproduce it , if I’m able to help with supplying logs etc.

What I mean is that unless your Dad specifically benefits from a 4.9 kernel; reinstalling the stable release might be the better solution for now.

We don’t need logs to look in to this at this time.

Okay no worries, will do.

Hye all,

i have a problem with the readind of ISO 3D.

On some ISO (example: Hobbit 2 part 1 or avatar, not in valerian) when i tried to FFward the film it’s can take some long long minute before working (the image freeze for a while (almost 5mn!!) and after film go further).

I don’t understand why it take those long (to long) minute … It’s hard to wait 5mn (clock in hand) without kowing inf system have crashed or not…

Some of your know what appends ?

Thanks you

Piece of string I know but how far are we off the full release of this?

Weeks, months, when the green screen bug is fixed so don’t know? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As mentioned previously, this kernel will be released with our release of Kodi v19.

1 Like

Missed that.

Kodi 19 is in RC1 and has so far always near enough been released in February :slight_smile:

@tanio99 do you have anything to say on the subject of o.luke’s issue a few posts back? I wondered if it was the same issue I’ve seen with everything pausing when skipping for the first time time on certain ISOs.

1 Like

@o.luke, @angry.sardine Sorry, I’ve completely missed this post :frowning:

Yes, it’s the same issue. The problem is that there’s no inventory of where a particular frame (absolute position in the file) can be found. So if you skip, the file has to be scanned to create such an inventory and that takes time. What me wonders is that it sometimes just works out of the box.

If I understand that code correctly, then it should also fail for 2D ISOs.

1 Like

We should check if it’s still an issue with v19 or if the behaviour has at least changed.

1 Like

I’m experiencing an issue with some videos that have Dolby Digital Plus audio - only some, not all. When playing certain files, the audio is passed through to my soundbar which correctly identifies it as “Dolby Digital Plus”. When I seek in the file, some times the audio is dropped and there is complete silence. The soundbar still identifies the stream as “Dolby Digital Plus”. A quick pause/resume will get the audio back and the same will seeking again (some times).

The files I’m having issues with plays correctly using the Plex app on webOS and also on PC.

Debug logs of me playing the file and subsequently seeking: https://paste.osmc.tv/barajecaqa

Does the logs indicate anything weird going on?

Thanks for the logs. Does this happen only when using plex kodi connect? I see a lot of messages about loading settings from old format which hints PKC is a bit behind on updates.