[TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements

Over the Christmas period, likely a couple of days. I’m still ironing out a couple of other things

I’m still working over Christmas so it won’t be long, but things need to be ready.

Sam

1 Like

Thanks for the transparency, i wasn’t expecting that. I cant even get my landlord to respond within a month when things go wrong.

You’re welcome – I just need to be careful not to break anything over this period; as it’s a sensitive time to release updates.

Cheers

Sam

4 Likes

In my LG C7 I’ve also found contrast issues in HDR. Whites are burnt, I need to set contrast to 47% and bright to 51%. Kernel 126 and 133, Kodi latest build

I miss an advanced options screen focused on rendering properties. From gamma to colour spaces,… Not asking for a set as extensive as MadVR but at least a way to fix/tune.

That’s something we can explore – we just need to get the core video playback improvements out first.

Sam

Finally had some time to test this update. Here are my findings:

After the upgrade I noticed that most 4K HDR films where not playing anymore (no signal on LG Oled B7).

So I applied this:

"echo 422now | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr"

Now all content was playing but I still had issues with a few movies that had greyed out blacks & burned whites, so I followed the tip of Gedeon to set Contrast to 47% & Brightness to 51%. This fixed the greyed out blacks & burned whites.

All content I’ve thrown at the Vero 4K+ is playing fine now!

So to summarize how I got all 4K HDR content playing fine on my LG OLED B7:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Added line deb http://apt.osmc.tv 1 stretch-devel main
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
echo 422now | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Removed line deb http://apt.osmc.tv 1 stretch-devel main

For some content: Set contrast to 47% & brightness to 51%

PS: My Vero 4K+ still reverts to 720p at reboot (sometimes)

When? That should be fixed if you’ve updated

Can you and/or @Gedeon spot anything in mediainfo that would distinguish these ‘washed out’ movies from the others? Master display data (colorimetry, MaxCLL, MaxFALL) perhaps?

There could be two different issues, related or not each one with each other (My tv is a 65C7V)

1) Incompatibility issues (Incompatibilities only happen if RGB enabled, with YUV no issues !!l) I mean videos that doesn’t show or show black screens when starting:

These 2 ones. I can’t see with Vero but no issues with internal tv player:

(there are a few more HEVC files/movies I’ve got that give me no image/black screen)

However this one runs perfect in the Vero and in the tv player (and most, if not all 23/24p demos from 4kmedia):

2) Non correct (by default) whites, blacks, … clipping,… gamma… etc…

I usually check those incorrectly rendered ones with this files:

For non-HDR: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html (I usually check the black and white clipping from the basic settings folder)

For HDR: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2943380-hdr10-test-patterns-set.html (I’d start with 400nits and 1000nits gray ramps and with the black-level-v4)

Using those files I try to find differences between the internal and the Vero, IF i perceive strange issues, blacks, whites, colours, etc… Obviously copying EXACTLY all video settings in both sources (internal and HDMI-Vero).

I know I could be totally wrong but I think there is some kind of mess/incompatibility/bug when throwing 4:4:4 colour spaces, maybe a gamma issue, a 16-235 vs 0-255,… I don’t really know.

Now, for all content I’ve set 51% brightness and 46% contrast. I think the image is good but not really comfortable since, from my point of view something is not behaving properly hence I have to correct those settings and/or forcing through script different colour spaces. Not interested in adding a script in rc.local or something like that.

I hope you can fix it.
Edited: I had RGB enabled. With YUV no compatibility issues found.

Thanks for the detailed report. I hope we can fix it, too.

Could be that the TV expects 0-255 when it gets a 4:4:4 signal as it’s assuming a PC is connected.

I have to bump brightness to 51/52% on my Panasonic DX902 to avoid crushed blacks. No issue with this but it messes with SDR blacks. Separate brightness and contrast controls for SDR/HDR would be awesome

If you adjust brightness/contrast during playback in Kodi it is title-specific. The adjusted values are stored for the title, but unfortunately due to a bug they do not currently become active when playback is resumed. It was announced this is fixed in the latest test build but in my case it wasn’t.

[deleted]

I can’t reproduce this after making some changes.

I’m setting brightness very low so it’s noticeable. I press Stop. Then when I press play, the brightness has persisted

This is the build number for my test V4K+: 3.14.29-133-osmc

If I set the contrast for one of my 4K files to a burn-out bright level (like 90%), the contrast adjustment is clearly active. I then press Stop - when I resume playback, the contrast adjustment is not active but the altered % does appear when I pull up the contrast adjustment slider - and the moment I touch it, the contrast increase becomes active.

OK - so it works for brightness but not for contrast - should be an easy fix next time round?

I can confirm what @ac16161 has stated. It works for brightness but not for contrast.

Are you using Kodi v17 or Kodi v18?

I’m using right now 3.14.29-133-osmc with Kodi 17.8-380

I think both are the latest ones you have available for testing.

(I did the tests with Kodi 17.8.379, but contrast still remains as non-persistent/system-wide setting)