[TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements

The fixes are only available for Kodi Krypton (17.6), as this is the stable version.

So if I install latest stable image with Krypton from scratch and update the kernel to 133 saving brightness and contrast will work system wide ?

In any case Merry Christmas!!!

Not for me - I run Krypton and I too have the bug on the .133 kernel where only the brightness adjustment is persistent - contrast is not.

So It seems we must wait for an updated version (Kodi or Kernel or both).

Ist this mandatory for LG C8?
I installed the fix, but nothing changed.
I still get No signal after i started a HDR movie.

Did not work without it. [TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements - #12 by kaspik

OK.
I don’t really know what that command does, but is that setting lost, when a new osmc Update ist installed from the stable channel?
Or how do i undo that command?

It create file and adds text 422 into it. Adding that line to rc.local will add the file there every reboot as it’s not persistent. Simply removing line from rc.local will do the job.

1 Like

I still can’t reproduce this. Should the steps I outlined above allow me to reproduce?

Thanks

@sam_nazarko reproduce what? And it’s Christmas eve, you are not supposed to be working :grin:

I initiate playback of an mkv file, while playback is in progress, adjust contrast to desired level from within Kodi’s video adjustment settings. Stop playback. Resume playback - adjusted contrast is clearly not active, but if I pull up the video adjustment options the previous contrast level is shown in the %slider. Moment I tweak the contrast, the adjustment becomes active.

Repeat all the above with Brightness instead of contrast, and the stored brightness is activated when playback is resumed.

Hm. I’ll need to add some logging as I made the changes for both brightness and contrast.

Cheers

Sam

to clarify is that a request for me to post a log or can you reproduce your end?

No – there won’t be sufficient data points in your logs.
I’ll add some logging my side and try to repro

Cheers

I’ve edited my post about incompatibilities. Now all videos work. I had activated RGB.

With RGB disabled and 4:2:2 forced through rc.local all HEVC content/demos now can be played in LG 65C7

Apologies.

But the contrast still doesn’t apply. The value are saved but it seems that it doesn’t “apply”. Maybe some initialization routine ignores/reset it, hence it only is applied through display settings routine, once play is running.

But not today neither tomorrow are the days to fix this.
:slight_smile:

Thanks for letting me know.

I’ll fix the contrast issue shortly
It will take a little while for the improvement to trickle down in to a @gmc nightly

Sam

The issue appears to be that I wasn’t switching between videos – so couldn’t indeed verify that contrast wasn’t being reset.

I’ve looked at this in further detail and we are setting the contrast and brightness values via sysfs correctly.

I couldn’t replicate a resolution whereby bringing up the overlay changes the contrast settings. I suspect that the contrast registers need to be set before playback begins; which may make it a tricker fix.

WRITE_VCBUS_REG_BITS(VPP_VADJ1_Y + cur_dev->vpp_off, val, 0, 8);
        WRITE_VCBUS_REG(VPP_VADJ_CTRL + cur_dev->vpp_off, VPP_VADJ1_EN);

Sam

PS: My Vero 4K+ still reverts to 720p at reboot (sometimes)

When? That should be fixed if you’ve updated

@sam_nazarko: Apparantly it was only after the first reboot after the update. Other reboots are fine with this.

Sorry for the confusion!