[Testing] X11(simple desktop) + Chromium(web browser) in a simple installer for Stretch

Good Job, it works nicely.

It is possible to control mouse using CEC ?

Haven’t tried, and i dont know how to. But i do recommend UnifiedRemote

Hi @joakim_s,

I’ve installed chromium-browser on Vero 4K according to the instructions here.

When I start a browser with any webpage, I get ‘Aw, Snap’ message.
I’ve tried also with Kodi disabled, and the same result.

I can see that chromium-browser starts two instances and the combined CPU load is approx 100% (see picture below)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

It’s ok … I fixed my own problem :slight_smile:

Installed Chromium 50, and it starts up without any errors.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Niall.

Hi there; I had the system up and running on my RBP3 (OSMC as my main system, retro pie as an add-on and X11 launcher as well).

I started getting the “aww snap errors” in chromium noted by others (prior to this it was running wonderfully!); so i re-flashed OSMC. installed retropie, installed my vpn etc…

However, now when i use the installer above the entire system “freezes” at the main selection screen on OSMC - i’m unable to use mouse or keyboard or xbox controller.
I can sometimes SSH into the system but i really only know how to follow other people’s instructions and I’m not very adept at linux.

wondering if you knew what was going on or if others had experienced this? should i use the installer and prior to a “sudo reboot” run the sudo apt-get install chromium=63.0.3239.84-1~deb9u1 instead?

if I don’t use the X11 installer everything runs fine on my system… so it appears its the act of installing that is causing some crash/freeze?

Any thoughts would be great! :slight_smile:

@MattGee I will do a clean install either tonight or tomorrow and try out the installer again and get back to you.

1 Like

yeap there seems to been some changes in the debian dependencies. To solve it here is what you do:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm

don’t know why lightdm suddenly is running from start, it never used to. will ahve to look at the installer again. Thanks for telling me, and chromium version isn’t longer in repository. So we are out of a webbrowser unless you use the one from ubuntu

yeap there seems to been some changes in the debian dependencies. To solve it here is what you do:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm

Don’t know why lightdm suddenly is running from start, it never used to. Will have to look at the installer again. Thanks for telling me, and a working chromium version isn’t longer in repository. So we are out of a web browser unless you use the one from ubuntu from post 321

Edited the install script to install ubuntus chromium as per post 321, and disabled lightdm.

Awesome! Thanks I’ll give this a go in the next few days and let you know :slight_smile: most appreciated

everything works great!
also i followed the instructions for the old browser:

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/380369885/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_68.0.3440.75-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_armhf.deb
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/380369879/chromium-browser_68.0.3440.75-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_68.0.3440.75-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser_68.0.3440.75-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_armhf.deb
sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser_68.0.3440.75-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get purge chromium

many thanks for this! it was just was OSMC is missing! :slight_smile:

I tried to install the plugin.
All went fine until I tried to run it
I see nothing but a blank screen
After I’d kill X11 the mediacenter UI is back
I run 17.8-412

There is probably some timing issues in the script, i will try to do a clean install tonight and get back to you.

Edit: Had a quick check, if I edited the first sleep value in x_init.sh to 12 instead of current value ( nano ~/x11-start/x_init.sh ) i got it working for me.

Yes - I am now able to run Chromium - the Netflix is complaining though… The HTML5 payer is not good for them - I’ll try with Firefox or a plugin…

This desktop implementation will never provide a good browser based streaming video viewing experience since it won’t be able to leverage hardware decoding of the video. Sorry to disappoint you. You should wait for v18 to officially arrive for OSMC or install the v18 test builds and the necessary addons for viewing netflix if that is your intention.

@joakim_s

Hopefully the PI4 will have a much smoother browsing expereince :slightly_smiling_face:

The installer now also installs a “virtual mouse & keyboard” controlled via the official OMC-remote. The Arrow-keys move the pointer, Play-key is left click, Stop-key is right click and Home-key gives a on-screen keyboard.

Hope this helps someone.

1 Like

Just an FYI, I just installed this. I had to make some changes in the scripts to get it to work on Leia 18.3.

install_x11.sh:
sudo apt-get -y install lxde-core xserver-xorg xinit fbi libinput-dev xwit xdotool x11-utills xvkbd
Has 2 “l”'s in utills, should be 1 “l” (utils)
sudo apt-get -y install lxde-core xserver-xorg xinit fbi libinput-dev xwit xdotool x11-utils xvkbd

This one is cosmetic:
dialog --title “Installation finished!” --msgbox “\nThank you for using my installer\n” 11 70
Finished had 2 “n”'s (finnished). Should be finished

x_init.sh:
sudo systemctl stop eventlircdw
Has a “w” at the end of eventlircdw that needs to be removed (eventlicrd)
sudo systemctl stop eventlircd

sudo systemctl start eventlircdw
sudo systemctl start eventlircd

Even so, it is working great. I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a long time.

Great Work!!!

@saruk Thanks for reporting the problems. Corrected and updated Github

Hello @joakim_s
Is there some way how to temporary switch off the function of “virtual mouse & keyboard”?
If I wan´t use lxterminal, the arrow keys still move with mouse and not with the cursor in terminal window.
Is there possible some CTRL+ something which switch off this function?

Thanks Jan

Not easily, will have to think about a solution for that. Will try to look into that this weekend. Like an on/of for the virtual mouse driver… I’m guessing you are using a keyboard and the new OSMC-remote mouse is hindering you?

1 Like