The following packages will be REMOVED: rbp2-device-osmc systemd-sysv When installing any applications

Whenever I try to run sudo apt-get install upstart I am presented with the below (It seems apt-get is trying to remove packages needed)

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install upstart
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  cgmanager cpio ifupdown initramfs-tools iproute2 klibc-utils libcgmanager0
  libdrm2 libjson-c2 libjson0 libklibc libnih-dbus1 libnih1 makedev mountall
  plymouth systemd-shim
Suggested packages:
  libarchive1 ppp rdnssd bash-completion iproute2-doc desktop-base
  plymouth-themes pm-utils python3 graphviz upstart-monitor
Recommended packages:
  isc-dhcp-client dhcp-client libatm1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rbp2-device-osmc systemd-sysv
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cgmanager cpio ifupdown initramfs-tools iproute2 klibc-utils libcgmanager0
  libdrm2 libjson-c2 libjson0 libklibc libnih-dbus1 libnih1 makedev mountall
  plymouth systemd-shim upstart
0 upgraded, 18 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/2051 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5524 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 33568 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing rbp2-device-osmc (1.3.9) ...
WARNING: You have tried to remove a package that is essential to OSMC's operation.
To undo these changes, run 'sudo apt-get -f install'.
dpkg: error processing package rbp2-device-osmc (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 rbp2-device-osmc
Update rpimonitor Packages Status
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I have tried the following commands to fix the issue:
sudo apt-get -f install rbp2-device-osmc --reinstall sudo apt-get -f install systemd-sysv --reinstall sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade
But none of them seem to have worked.

• The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC: Answered Above
  • What you were doing when this issue occurred: Trying to install upstart using apt-get
  • Whether you can replicate this issue on demand. If you can, then please provide some steps on how an OSMC developer can reproduce the same issue. sudo apt-get install upstart
  • The device you are currently running OSMC on Raspberry Pi 3
  • What peripherals are attached to the device? STK1160 Chipset USB capture card
  • Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC? When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not present? I don’t think the issue was present before the April OSMC update

Please find the logs for my install at the following address: http://paste.osmc.tv/hitetoxuje
Note: I rebooted the pi, logged into it via SSH and run the apt-get install command, after this uploaded logs.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Upstart and systemd are both Linux init daemons. You cannot run both. Without systemd though, you would no longer be running osmc and would be completely on your own. Not to mention that you would have a lot of bug chasing just to get the system to run again.

That’s a serious warning, to be heeded.

The next line says:

To undo these changes, run ‘sudo apt-get -f install’.

which should be taken literally, ie without anything else afterwards. It means “fix broken”.

Don’t do that.

Upstart is even deprecated in Ubuntu now – and they have switched to systemd.

Thank you for the info guys! I was following a tutorial and didn’t realise systemd and upstart are essentially the same thing.

The packages I thought had been removed by the install have not and are currently running okay. I have created a SYSTEMD.service using the information here: https://www.axllent.org/docs/view/nodejs-service-with-systemd/ incase anyone needed it!

I have got the service running at boot! and OSMC appears to be working correctly!

1 Like