The ideal setup

Hi guys,

I have been using OSMC and Kodi for many years now along with Plex, Radarr, Sonarr and Transmission. I’m thinking of sliming down how many raspberry pi’s I’m running along with my NAS and of course my Vero 4k. I have Plex on a Pi and Radarr, Sonarr and Transmission on another Pi with a VPN.
My question is this: is the Vero capable of running all of the above? I would like to get rid of my NAS as I’m sure its using too much energy being on 24/7 and just have a decent external drive attached to the Vero, is this possible? I have a feeling I might need to drop Plex? which I’m more than happy to do.

Many thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

I think this would work fine. Just keep in mind that transcoding wouldn’t be faster enough if you are running a Plex server off the device.

So make sure that your clients can play your library OK. I suspect this is a non issue though as the Pi doesn’t have enough horsepower for transcoding either.

Sam

1 Like

If your main driver here is just concerns with Vampire power I would suggest to buy a “kill a watt” or similar simple energy monitoring device to find out what devices are actually using. Where I live a Single raspberry Pi 4 being run 24/7 costs me about $4 USD worth of electricity per year. My PC with 9 drives in it that houses all my media files, a Plex server, a MySQL database, and related services, being run 24/7 costs me about $50 USD worth of electricity per year. It would not be worth it to me to simplify my setup to save this amount of money. This obviously would vary from person to person, but unless you actually measure what your using how can you make an informed decision?

2 Likes