The Lid Came Off!

Delighted with my 4K+ until the device fell off the table when, with a crash, the lid came off.

I have re-assembled and believe all is well but it appears there might be a loss of thermal contact between cpu and heatsink. It appears there is some grey thermal compound on cpu but no sign of any mechanical clamping to hold together.

The lid clicked into place but I had expected something a bit more positive. Grateful for your advice please.

Sorry to hear this.

If you drop the device the bottom can fall out of place. You should be able to click it together without issue.

Make sure the heat sink is attached to the SoC or the plate and it will make good contact.

I can send you a new shell if it is cosmetically damaged.

Hi Sam,
Many thanks for the reply and kind offer but there is no damage that I can see.

What concerns me is that the heat sink appears to be attached to the lid and not stuck to the SoC, at least that is what I think I saw. I put it back together as soon as because it was running and I was concerned about keeping the system from overheating. What I recall was the lid with heat sink attached and the box with a system board inside and a grey patch on top which I believe was heatsink compound or adhesive (which had become unstuck.)
What should I see? The little seal was broken so I expect I can pop up the lid but if I do what should I see and will I do more damage?
Regards,
Budge

There’s a pad of thermal foam which is squashed between the metal heatsink and the CPU. Sometimes it sticks to the heatsink and sometimes to the CPU when the lid is removed. The CPU has thermal throttling so shouldn’t come to any harm but if you get any signs of over-heating come back and we can make some suggestions.

When the lid comes off, it can sometimes take the rubber square with it as it will make contact with the SoC. You should have no issue however as it will contact the SoC regardless.

You can pop the device open again with a fine guitar pick and push it out, but if it’s working to no ill effect, I doubt you’ll see anything remarkable.

I run a few Veros without a case (easier to test things). They will not overheat out of a case. The rubber square just helps dissipate heat to the case via the metal heatsink.

Sam