The new OSMC Remote - OSMC

It's been just over two years since we announced the new OSMC RF Remote, a minimalist way to control all OSMC devices.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2018/01/the-new-osmc-remote-2/

Can you still fast-forward and rewind with the new remote, if you removed the buttons?

Why was it that people wanted those removed?

With Kodi, you can remap any buttons.

Having use another remote just to change volume is a PITA and many people are happy to use the skip function instead of fast forward.

I agree, adding volume buttons is great!

However, what do you do when skipping doesn’t work, and you want to get back to a section 30 minutes in? Maybe I don’t understand what skipping is, but I thought that you need an index to skip, and if you have a broken, or non-existent index then you cannot skip.

Skipping should always work. Kodi supports skip steps, so the faster you click it, the quicker it skips through a programme. This seems to be more effective than fast forwarding.

Fortunately ffmpeg makes that quite reliable.

Of course, as others have said, you can remap buttons at any time using the Keymap Editor add-on.

Sam

Nice, I think I use skip steps all the time… so maybe I don’t even use fast-forwarding!

Looks nice. I use skips frequently and only rarely use FF. My new Samsung TV has a smart remote that works well with OSMC via Bluetooth. One function it lacks is right mouse button to get to “Add to Favorites.”

Any idea if this would work with Kodi running on an Amazon FireTV?

It should work on Android; yes.
You might need to fix up some buttons – someone did this before with Keymap Editor.

Sam

Hi, I’ve done a forum search but don’t seem to be able to find an answer to this,
will one of these work on a Pi 3 running Libreelec?
I thinking of getting one for an elderly relative to replace the rather more complex MCE remote he currently uses and gets constantly confused by.

Yes — they work with LE and OE

1 Like

Will the new 4K+ I ordered come with this newer controller?

Yes. We started shipping the new remote in early December 2017 and announced it formally in January.

1 Like

Out of the box support for Mac and Windows Kodi installations without any driver installation

I have issues with the volume buttons on my new OSMC Remote in Windows Kodi, the Volume Down increases volume and the Volume Up switches between minimized and fullscreen. I was not able to use the Keymap Editor as Volume Up looks like handled by the Windows OS and the event is not catched by Kodi. Any ideas?

Check Kodi logs as it should be receiving the remote codes for Volume Up / Down

Is there any chance OSMC remote could be used in the operating system selection at the start, since I have Raspbian and Lakka installed as well, and when wanting to use OSMC itself, would be really hand to choose OSMC with the remote?

Are you talking about NOOBS? The arrow keys should already work (up and down), as should the Ok button

Sam