The new OSMC Remote

Thanks, that makes sense. My audio setup is connected via HDMI (ARC), so I usually control everything with my (single) TV remote. Still will think about this remote as the price is nice and it would eliminate the lag caused by CEC ^^.

1 Like

The current price is an introductory price and is available until the end of this month.

Sam

Will the new Vero accept IR input as well or just RF? Hopefully it still accepts IR so I can use my universal remote…

Hi

This is a good question. The Vero 2 will accept both RF and IR remote signals. It will work with the OSMC remote by default, but you’ll be able to configure an IR profile if you wish.

Cheers

Sam

Looks good the black one, really stylish, the new transponder is great, it’s sad I have allready a white one.

Hi Sam, this problem is not software related, but hardware to my opinion (I have a Vero). As stated in this post removing the plastic IR window solved it for this user. My device is 4-5 metres away from my “lounge”-position and I have no troubles with all other remotes. Especially the Apple TV 1st Gen-remote is amazing, no matter where you aim you get instant response. It seems the IR-signal is just not strong enough to reach the Vero. I thought this was a well-known problem. Recently you stated on this forum (I cannot find it now) that in the slipstream of the Vero2 there will be good news for the early Vero-adopters. I was hoping this was it. Maybe there is more to come for Vero-owners?

Hi

That post was from April, prior to disabling the front LED during operation and some LIRC improvements. I would still be curious what version you are on? The range in recent versions should be reasonable.

There will be.

Sam

I am on most recent software, 2015.11-2.

It sounds like you may have a fault then, send me a PM and I will make sure we put things right

Sam

hi sam. nice looking remote in black. is it silent now, no loud clicking? thanks

1 Like

I’d be all over this if it had a keyboard, maybe add a full keyboard on the back for full text entry in a future revision?

Currently using my Boxee Box remote on two pi2 and it works great, however it would be nice to have a single usb adapter rather than the RF card (gutted from the boxee box) hooked up to the GPIO pins and a usb port.

I chose not to do this – in our testing, having the keyboard on the back resulted in a lot of accidental pressing. I’m not too convinced we can cram all those keys and actually speed up typing… I’m also worried that when you add a keyboard, you can get a rather large and cumbersome remote. The current design should just fit the average sized hang comfortably.

Adding autocompletion to Kodi’s text entry fields however may be a better way to spend our time :wink:

Sam

Thanks for the input, however no one in the family has ever complained about accidental key presses on the remote, the buttons are a bit stiff and the edges around the remote’s keyboard are somewhat raised so that when it is being held face up it isn’t pressing the keys on the back as you press on the front buttons.

Having a physical keyboard vs using the Kodi on screen keyboard is miles apart IMO, pressing a letter key is much faster than using the arrow keys to get to each letter. It also much more convenient for kids and non-techy people to just type using a physical keyboard then to use the OSD keyboard. Sure if it was a touch screen keyboard like in many Kodi app’s I’d agree with you, however between the Kodi OSD keyboard or physical keyboard I would pick physical any day.

To each there own I guess, but it would be nice to have this option for people like myself that want one. I will hold on to the Boxee remotes as long as I can, this is the best remote IMO and should you decide to add a keyboard to the OSMC remote I’ll be first in line to buy one.

As for the design, the Boxee remote is super slim so it is achievable, I cant compare to the OSMC remote but it’s not much bigger than the apple tv or fire tv remote, slim and small enough that my 2 year old can hold and operate rather easily.

1 Like

Not ruling this out :smile:

I can see us offering two types of remote in the future.

Sam

1 Like

That would be amazing, I also use the remote (mapped to a letter) to turn the lights on/off in the TV room since the Pi is always on with the wemo Kodi addon.

hi sam. nice looking remote in black. is it silent now, no loud clicking? thanks

Hi,

The remote does make a slight audible click (as part of the design), but I would open it up to other users as to how loud / problematic this is.

Sam

thanks sam - is it as loud and clicky as the white one?

I would say it is quieter. I just held both up to my ear and found the white one to have slightly more of an echo.

@DBMandrake has both. It would be interesting for him to compare the Vero remote (IR) with the new remote (RF).

Sam

Hi Sam, I have this remote http://www.riitek.com/goods/detail/54.htm and would never had any accidental presses. I think the buttons are quite stiff so that nothing accidental can happen.
Overall the basic concept of this remote is quite good but not perfect, so still some improvements you good do for your Vero3 remote :wink: