The new OSMC Remote

Hi everyone,

We have just finished updating our new OSMC Store in advance of the new Vero 2 launch.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2015/12/the-new-osmc-remote/
1 Like

Hello Sam,

If ordering more than one, will each remote RF frequency interfere with the other when put into service in same proximity?

Best Regards,

Jas

Hi Jas,

Edit: Since early 2016, it is now possible to purchase multiple remotes and operate them in the same household without issue

Thanks for your interest in the remote. Unfortunately for you, the remote is usable at extreme distances, and works when I am in other rooms. I cannot truthfully recommend you purchase more than one, as you will probably experience some interference. What you could do is order one, go in to your other room and try and see if you can control your TV from there. If you’re not getting any interference, then you can order another remote from us (we’ll waive shipping for the second unit).

Cheers

Sam

Perhaps it could be possible (in future) to change the set of signals used (internal switch or key sequence to initiate) rather than the frequency - then have different maps for each remote.

I will explore this option in the future. This could be achieved by holding a certain button combination which would increment the codes. I would need to think of a nice way of achieving this in a way where a user can’t accidentally lock themselves out of the device.

Best,

Sam

1 Like

I am very interested in the new remote, it looks superb!

Just one question, what is the battery life like?

Sincerely,
Daniel

My family have been using an early version since August daily and the battery (coin cell) is still good. You should get several months of usage from a single cell, and they can be purchased in packs of three for about ÂŁ1.

To ensure that the batteries are not flat on arrival, we have a small plastic tab between the remote and the battery, which you must remove when you receive the device.

Sam

1 Like

Maybe have a look at how Boxee Box remote handles the pairing.
Don´t know how it is accomplished technically but the proceedure seems simple, LINK

The RF remote on the Boxee has giving it high points on “WAF”, so I´m exited by the new Vero 2 remote.

Thank you for your quick response. Will definitely buy one in the next couple of days!

Hi @sam_nazarko Sam, will you have a coupon code for existing early adopters of the Vero who experience very bad remote (1st gen.) behaviour? Like in my case, I need to aim the remote very exact to get a response, and usually have to press multiple times to get a “click”.

Very nice looking remote! Are any of the buttons mapped to volume? That’d be the only thing I need apart from the buttons I see to not have to use my TV’s remote (which I currently use via CEC).

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are not having a good experience with the Vero remote. We believe we resolved most of the remote issues in the latest updates. I would recommend you check your batteries and that you are on the latest version of the software.

I am happy to make things right if you are still having issues. If you have a Raspberry Pi, I would recommend you use the old Vero remote with a GPIO diode and the new one for the Vero.

Sam

Hi,

Currently, there are no dedicated volume buttons, as most users tend to take advantage of bitstreaming. However, keys can easily be remapped, if you can find two buttons that you are happy to swap out.

Sam

Thanks, that makes sense. My audio setup is connected via HDMI (ARC), so I usually control everything with my (single) TV remote. Still will think about this remote as the price is nice and it would eliminate the lag caused by CEC ^^.

1 Like

The current price is an introductory price and is available until the end of this month.

Sam

Will the new Vero accept IR input as well or just RF? Hopefully it still accepts IR so I can use my universal remote…

Hi

This is a good question. The Vero 2 will accept both RF and IR remote signals. It will work with the OSMC remote by default, but you’ll be able to configure an IR profile if you wish.

Cheers

Sam

Looks good the black one, really stylish, the new transponder is great, it’s sad I have allready a white one.

Hi Sam, this problem is not software related, but hardware to my opinion (I have a Vero). As stated in this post removing the plastic IR window solved it for this user. My device is 4-5 metres away from my “lounge”-position and I have no troubles with all other remotes. Especially the Apple TV 1st Gen-remote is amazing, no matter where you aim you get instant response. It seems the IR-signal is just not strong enough to reach the Vero. I thought this was a well-known problem. Recently you stated on this forum (I cannot find it now) that in the slipstream of the Vero2 there will be good news for the early Vero-adopters. I was hoping this was it. Maybe there is more to come for Vero-owners?

Hi

That post was from April, prior to disabling the front LED during operation and some LIRC improvements. I would still be curious what version you are on? The range in recent versions should be reasonable.

There will be.

Sam