The new OSMC Remote

I am on most recent software, 2015.11-2.

It sounds like you may have a fault then, send me a PM and I will make sure we put things right

Sam

hi sam. nice looking remote in black. is it silent now, no loud clicking? thanks

1 Like

Iā€™d be all over this if it had a keyboard, maybe add a full keyboard on the back for full text entry in a future revision?

Currently using my Boxee Box remote on two pi2 and it works great, however it would be nice to have a single usb adapter rather than the RF card (gutted from the boxee box) hooked up to the GPIO pins and a usb port.

I chose not to do this ā€“ in our testing, having the keyboard on the back resulted in a lot of accidental pressing. Iā€™m not too convinced we can cram all those keys and actually speed up typingā€¦ Iā€™m also worried that when you add a keyboard, you can get a rather large and cumbersome remote. The current design should just fit the average sized hang comfortably.

Adding autocompletion to Kodiā€™s text entry fields however may be a better way to spend our time :wink:

Sam

Thanks for the input, however no one in the family has ever complained about accidental key presses on the remote, the buttons are a bit stiff and the edges around the remoteā€™s keyboard are somewhat raised so that when it is being held face up it isnā€™t pressing the keys on the back as you press on the front buttons.

Having a physical keyboard vs using the Kodi on screen keyboard is miles apart IMO, pressing a letter key is much faster than using the arrow keys to get to each letter. It also much more convenient for kids and non-techy people to just type using a physical keyboard then to use the OSD keyboard. Sure if it was a touch screen keyboard like in many Kodi appā€™s Iā€™d agree with you, however between the Kodi OSD keyboard or physical keyboard I would pick physical any day.

To each there own I guess, but it would be nice to have this option for people like myself that want one. I will hold on to the Boxee remotes as long as I can, this is the best remote IMO and should you decide to add a keyboard to the OSMC remote Iā€™ll be first in line to buy one.

As for the design, the Boxee remote is super slim so it is achievable, I cant compare to the OSMC remote but itā€™s not much bigger than the apple tv or fire tv remote, slim and small enough that my 2 year old can hold and operate rather easily.

1 Like

Not ruling this out :smile:

I can see us offering two types of remote in the future.

Sam

1 Like

That would be amazing, I also use the remote (mapped to a letter) to turn the lights on/off in the TV room since the Pi is always on with the wemo Kodi addon.

hi sam. nice looking remote in black. is it silent now, no loud clicking? thanks

Hi,

The remote does make a slight audible click (as part of the design), but I would open it up to other users as to how loud / problematic this is.

Sam

thanks sam - is it as loud and clicky as the white one?

I would say it is quieter. I just held both up to my ear and found the white one to have slightly more of an echo.

@DBMandrake has both. It would be interesting for him to compare the Vero remote (IR) with the new remote (RF).

Sam

Hi Sam, I have this remote http://www.riitek.com/goods/detail/54.htm and would never had any accidental presses. I think the buttons are quite stiff so that nothing accidental can happen.
Overall the basic concept of this remote is quite good but not perfect, so still some improvements you good do for your Vero3 remote :wink:

Heh, thatā€™s a while off yet!

I like the look of it, but the lack of a removal battery doesnā€™t appeal to me.

Sam

Cheers Sam,

Just ordered one. Have been using an iPazzPort up until now. Just need something to act as a dedicated remote.
This is just what I need.

Guv.

To be honest, the ā€œclickingā€ from the (white) remote is my wifeā€™s biggest issue (and we all know ā€œWife Acceptance Factorā€ is key with technology! ;))

yes unfortunately the clicking on my white one is very loud. tbh I donā€™t understand why anyone would want to have a clicky remote. especially if as in our case we are using OSKā€™s. its very annoying especially if its silent in the room. I would certainly be interested in the double sided remote with keyboard on the other side, but I would really urge for quiet buttons / switches. I tried switching to use the apple silver remote, but some of the main functions, like presing menu to go backwards, or press and hold menu for contextual, didnā€™t seem to work, maybe thatā€™s sorted now. I love the function in the osmc settings to be able to change remotes, that very cool, and overall I like the vero now

for people who need a sound associated with a button press, surely the gui sounds would cover that I feel

Hi Sam,
I like the new remote but I too wish it had dedicated volume and mute - it my experience they are the ones you grab for the most. Sure, you can remap keys to give that functionality, but there arenā€™t many to choose from. Practically, the only ones that would make sense are the four surrounding the OK button, but I canā€™t really think of any Kodi screens where the up/down/sideways arrows arenā€™t needed. I currently use a ā€œclassicā€ XBox remote, with appropriate keymappings to circumvent the same problem of no Volume control, but itā€™s a pain. More often now I connect via the web interface, which allows volume changes both in its basic html form, and also via the Android and Apple remote apps. Maybe you could reconsider this if you redesign the hardware - Iā€™d buy one then!

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter - Iā€™m quite the opposite - I canā€™t stand the typical rubbery mushy buttons you get on most remoteā€™s where you canā€™t tell for sure when the press has been registered or even if it was registered.

If the UI is slow and laggy (Iā€™m looking at you Tivo) and there is no instant confirmation sound for every button press it makes for a clunky and frustrating user experience where you press and wait, press and waitā€¦

By default most Kodi skins silence GUI sounds when video is playing, and donā€™t have sounds for all actions, so relying entirely on GUI sounds is not that practical.

My black remote is quite a bit quieter than my white one but it is still a ā€œclickyā€ remote, so if you want a completely silent remote I suggest you look elsewhere. I appreciate the positive action that the buttons on these remoteā€™s have, and whilst it can be slightly annoying while using the on screen keyboard to enter a search word at all other times I prefer the click.