The OSMC Skin redesign - OSMC

Thanks, it works!

The problem is not in the color, it’s in the overlay itself…

:wink:

1 Like

WOW!
Background color at 66000000 FTW!
And all the fanart backgrounds looks so much better too.
The overlay was causing issues that looked like horrible Kodi compression issues but they are all gone now.
Truly amazing.

Well, there are other options to resolving white text on white backgrounds other than over lays.
A few examples would be; drop shadows, outer glow or edges, etc.
This is a hurdle subtitles has overcome.
In the early days they put white text in black boxes or did yellow text.
Now they usually just outline the white text.

I agree, so I made a quick mockup what it would look like and I like it a lot. Just compare this to my previous screenshot.

To have the outlined text is vomiting, or a dropped shadow is just annoying and cpu cycle stealing. The current solution, while I understand that some user prefer a “cleaner” solution. I am part, of what i think is the vast majority, that is just happy with it as is. No extra cpu load for a minor problem, when there are other skins where the suggested solution probably is the solution that skinner went for.

I think the current solution is the best for less cpu/gpu utilization while still not drowning white text on white background.

I agree, I am not the common user.
I’m a niche user, with higher standards of customizability.
And the OSMC team has made their platform very customizable.
All we had to do is figure out what settings needed to be tweaked for our liking.
Feature requests, like drop shadows or outlines, are not unreasonable.
The average user gets a firestick or appletv and if they bought a Vero they’d probably hate it.
They would never think about joining a forum where they can actual converse with the developers.
We are blessed by the OSMC team.
Keep up the good work guys!

For further requests, please open a new post in our feature request category.