Thinking about purchasing VERO+

VERO+ only has 16 gig of memory. My Raspberry needs a 32 gig card because of my massive library. How would that work out ?

That must be a very massive library if the database and thumbnails break the 16G.
If that is the case you could either use a SD Card plugged in the Vero to put the thumbnail folder on the SD Card or you could also keep the thumbnail folder on your NAS assuming you have a gigabit LAN and a fast NAS

As @fzinken says, you’d need a large library to utilise so much space. Are you sure that you simply haven’t installed OSMC via NOOBS on the Pi which allocates less space to OSMC?

The 16GB eMMC should be good for several thousand films and TV show episodes. You can indeed use a micro SD card or USB stick to expand the storage, but this requires some command line knowledge.

Sam

I have over 6600 movies and 50,000 TV show episodes and have no command line experience

Conservative calculation just for the TV shows:

• 50,000 episodes, each with only 30 minutes makes 25,000 hours
  • even if you watch TV shows 5 hours per day you need 5,000 days or more than 13.5 years to watch them all
  • 6,600 videos with 1,5 hours each makes 9,900 hours
  • even if you would watch two movies or 3 hours per day this would last 3,300 days or over nearly 9 years to see them all

I think you should think about a concept to archive them but not to have them available all at once.
Convince me why this should be necessary. I’m open for arguments.

The $300,000 Movie Collection with my TV series collection I beat him big TIME ! From the Honeymooners and Lucy to Star trek Picard ! Have them all my HDhomerun 6 tuners runs 24/7 all year long and MCEbuddy removes all the commercials

I have a similar amount of movies and episodes, 8k movies - 35k episodes, and my Vero4k+ uses 10 of the 16 GB. I also have a small amount of music. It works great.

1 Like

@Rickt1962 - can you upload some logs on your Pi? We won’t be able to see a complete breakdown of space usage but we will get a rough idea.

We could develop a hot fix for you to enter so we can check the exact size of your library.

Sam

This is a fresh install with out HDhomerun
Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
osmc@osmc:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 368M 0 368M 0% /dev
tmpfs 373M 15M 359M 4% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2 29G 7.9G 20G 29% /
tmpfs 373M 0 373M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 373M 0 373M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 316M 26M 290M 9% /boot
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1000

But after a while it does fill up

Ok fresh install did not load HDhomerun and Yahoo weather which are the only 2 addons I use. Played a movie yesterday for 5 minutes and stopped it. My KODI runs 24/7 this morning I clicked on update TV Shows while its scanning I switched over to Live TV 10 minutes in it crashes and reboots and the CEC switched me from Live TV back to KODI while it finished up reboot.

So I click on Logging rebooted then rescan then switched back to Live TV about 15 minutes later I switched back to see if KODI scan was complete and it was so I started to navigate and it FROZE So I unpowered it loaded up the logs https://paste.osmc.tv/etibuvihiy

Hope this helps

P.S. All nfo’s are created for movies by using Ember and are stored in the same folder the movie is in.
And TV shows nfo are created by MCEbuddy

Your logs show you are using less than 8GB of space.

1 Like

Nothing on why it crashes ?

Your log doesn’t show any crashes.

Crash is harsh it froze

I would suggest starting a new forum post with more details if this is persistent.
This update uses more power – so I’d check if your power supply is up to scratch.

If I purchase a Vero+ and it freezes or crashes How long do I have to return it ?

As per the returns policy, you can return the device for a refund within 14 days of receipt for any reason (like changing your mind)

You can return the item due to technical fault (for repair or replacement) during the warranty period as well.

My rpi3 freeze about once or twice a week. I also have a lot of films and Series.
I’m pretty sure it’s a lack of memory. I also have a rpi4 (4g) but OSMC is not running on that
new beast, and plain Kodi is out of the question because it lack MySQL remote database
and a lot of Features …

Xtian.

If it was such a problem. I found that accessing the shares through file browsing might help. If you prepare all the thumbs and info on windows using tiny media manager, you will also get some thumbnails when browsing the files rather than the library database itself. Plus you could probably get away with not even loading everything in to the library that way. The library is obviously much better to look at but it might give you option to load only certain ones in to the library and browse some of it at the file level instead. I don’t load my music for example in to the library because I am too scared that it will rename my music based on id3 tags. All of my music is well sorted at the file level so I can rely on that. I then just access music through the file level. I only add tv series and films to the library and I always set to use local metadata/thumbs only. That way I think i store most of the thumb and metadata in files next to the films on the file system using tiny media manager, rather than download the metadata on the vero.

That dictates that Kodi is sourcing them from local instead of an online source. In either event Kodi generates thumbnails in the exact same manor. When you are browsing via file manager Kodi also makes thumbnails from any artwork it displays there.