Tiny freezing issue playing 4K movies on Vero 4K+

Hi,

Received my Vero 4K+ yesterday and I’m very happy with the product so far. However, there is one little frustrating thing happening when I play 4K video files. Every 10 secs or so, the image freezes a tiny fraction of a second and then the movie continues flawlessly for the next 10 secs or so. Is there any way I can fix that by modifying some settings or such ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Regards Tom.

Do you have Adjust Refresh Rate enabled?
Where are you playing the file from? A NAS etc?

Sam

@Tom: Thanks for the info, will do that.

@Sam: Playing from a NAS on NFS via GB switch.

Thanks

Suggest to try to play from USB or SD Card to know if it might be a network issue

Just received and installed my 4k+. One of the reasons I got it that I was hopeful the problem mentioned by OP would be fixed, as I had this on the 4k.

Sadly, it seems not, may even have gotten worse!

My log is here:
https://paste.osmc.tv/usafaqatir

I have a NFS share, fstab-mounted over GB Ethernet.

(edit: I have just copied this specific video file to USB drive and played from there, same issue!)

Maybe it is either a problem with the file. Suggest to first provide the mediainfo of the file and maybe a short cut from the file that shows the problem.

It would be good if we could find out more about the file you are having issues playing. Please see the mediainfo section in How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC.

You can also create the mediainfo-output of the affected media file on the OSMC device:

1. login via SSH, user osmc, password osmc
  2. if not already installed: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mediainfo
  3. cdto the directory containing the video/audio material in question
  4. mediainfo -f "<media file>"|paste-log, where <media file> is your video/audio
  5. publish the returned URL here in this topic

Thx for your help.

I didn’t add the mediainfo as this happens with many, or even all, of the 4k videos I have. Thus it doesn’t seem logical to be related to the specific files. I wouldn’t go and buy a new Vero just to be able to watch 1 file smoothly now would I :slight_smile:

Regardless, I tried mediainfo, and it returns an empty line only. I also tried it on another 4k release, same.

Sorry forgot that current mediainfo doesn’t support files >2G.
Than my suggestion would be to cut a small part of the video that shows the issue and upload that.

I have some interesting news. I have now disabled the “adjust display refresh rate” setting. On the Vero 4k (and previous Kodi devices), I always needed this setting Enabled to prevent video getting stutters now and then. Also, turning it off never changed anything to the audio glitches for me.

However, I just watched an entire 4K movie this setting off, and both audio and video were perfectly smooth! Very happy with this, still need to test more videos, but I have good hopes.

I don’t have an explanation, however.

Hi,

I have this setting disabled and cannot watch a movie for more than 15 minutes until everything freezes and then getting this message “Source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback”.

Still investigating…

Update:

My NAS settings had the two network connections configured as load balancing. Having tried everything I could at this point to resolve the issue, I decided to reconfigure them as failover mode instead and didn’t had the recurrent freezing issue while playing a 4k movie .

Will made further tests this week with different files and report the results.

1 Like