Transmission-Daemon setting up password

Searching around I have found this topic:

However I am not able to use the commands “systemctl stop transmission-daemon” and “systemctl start transmission-daemon” getting following return:
Failed to start transmission-daemon.service: Unit transmission-daemon.service not found.

Failed to stop transmission-daemon.service: Unit transmission-daemon.service not loaded.

I have tried to use “transmission-remote --exit” to stop transmission daemon and change the three lines in ~/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json - However my password won’t turn into encrypted and work in the web UI. It has recognized that an user authentication is required. The username and password just won’t work.

Also worth saying: Downloaded Transmission through the AppStore :slight_smile:

Any ideas? :slight_smile:

See the guy who had just the same problem as you. Found via searching for transmission’s/the shell’s error message Unit transmission-daemon.service not found.

Hello RJ45, I am not sure who you refer to? Could you maybe sent a link? :slight_smile:

But he did.

1 Like

Moin! :wink:

Sure, just click on the blue letters in my post.

The forum software automatically converts hyperlinks like https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/transmission-settings-overwritten-at-launch/80351/8

into the preview you see in the box.

My bad… Sorry

Thanks… My bad!

Worked with another syntax, however I am still not able to set correct user/password in the settings.json file? Any way to “refresh it”?

Which command did you use? Did you try

sudo systemctl stop transmission

or

sudo systemctl stop transmission-daemon

like bmillham suggests in the thread? Which error message does the shell display?

Hi again,

I used sudo systemctl stop transmission which worked and gave no error message.

The error messages from “sudo systemctl stop/start transmission-daemon”:

Failed to start transmission-daemon.service: Unit transmission-daemon.service not found.

Failed to stop transmission-daemon.service: Unit transmission-daemon.service not loaded.

So my problem is now just to get the user/password up running.

Remember in linux no news is good news. :slight_smile:

So you don’t need to do it with transmission-daemon but transmission alone is enough. Stop transmission, then edit the settings.json to your liking. Save the config. Start transmission again.

Booyah! It worked, thanks for your patience… :see_no_evil:

1 Like