Trouble playing 4k mkv files with Dolby Vision Stream included

Downloaded both test files and can play them without any issues at my

Vero 4k
OSMC staging, kodi v18
Panasonic Plasma Full HD

Mhhh, perhaps an issue with 4k resolution?

So, your TV is a 4k one? What brand, model?
This thread now has 20 responses but there is no log presented, here how to do that:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks in advance.

OSMC skin screenshot:

After a short research I wonder whether DV is intended to be supported in mkv at all?
Is there a mediaplayer which can really process (not just ignore the second DV video track) this kind of mkv with a 4K HDR video and a side video stream containing the DV meta data?

Where do you get the information that this is the right way to keep DV data in an mkv?

Dolby Vision from UHD BluRays are not supported by mkvtoolnix (2 layers not one layer like the demos), the only way i know to play dolby vision is with an expensive oppo player over network (folder structure) which then understands the track (you must have an disc image) and play it.

So forget about mkv and dolby vision from uhd bluray. Dolby is using some kind of Java engine to activate the second layer thats why its not working at the moment because of closed source.

1 Like

Cheers

Do you have any articles about this?

I know single layer is only supported on aTV and dual layer is still difficult to achieve.

Sam

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17235

Its good explained there and how you can activate dolby vision via oppo i was surprised too :smiley:

Cheers

Some german Guys got it working to rip their Dolby Vision Movies into a second layer mp4 file (Dolby Vision Stream included) and play them via USB on TV directly … Maybe thats interesting for anybody here… But some older TVs seem to have problems with playing them, while 2018er TVs playing them trouble-free :slight_smile:

In my case, DVDFab includes the Dolby Vision data in the Mkv, via their “mkv passthrough” profile. I don’t select it, it’s just included by default when ripping Dolby vision discs.

First, thank you to everyone who has helped. I appreciate it.

I performed additional troubleshooting, and I believe the problem is related to the “plex for Kodi” addon. I copied my test files to a usb stick, and they played properly, outside of the plex for Kodi addon. Delving into the logs, I found the following when trying to play Dolby Vision clips:

NOTICE: script.plex: API: MDE: Multiple video streams, won’t try to direct play

I believe it’s trying to transcode the 4k Dolby Vision file, and my plex server doesn’t have the horse power to do it.

However, these files do work in the plex for kodi addon, on other platforms, and direct play, without transcoding.

I’m not a programmer, but I I found the following:

Github - Don’t disable direct play for multiple video streams

Do you think a similar change might be all that is needed to resolve this issue? Should OSMC/Kodi be pulling the latest version of the Plex for Kodi addon?

In case anyone else has the same problem, I resolved this by installing version 0.1.7a2 of the Plex for Kodi addon, found here:

script.plex-0.1.7a2

1 Like

@Vero4kFTW

any links?

Probably too late for it to do you any good, but I believe this is what he was talking about:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602

In outline: you rip the disk using MakeMKV, then demux the individual video and audio tracks, then remux them into an MP4 using Mp4muxer.

As far as I’m aware there is still a limitation on the audio, in that it only works with AC3 sound, not anything fancier. I’m hopeful someone will figure a way around that eventually.

To play it back, you can use the built-in video player app on a 2017 or 2018 LG TV, or a blu ray player like the Sony X700 (in either case you can play it from USB or across the LAN). 2016 TVs (using the TV’s own player app) go a bit peculiar and show everything in shades of green, but they work fine with a compatible blu ray player.

No he meant a different method but its the same result actually :smiley:

Edit: You can also use the LG Players Build in “Music/Video Share” which can connect over DLNA (Network) and play the dolby vision file. But to much limitations at the moment its better to buy an Oppo and play the disc via network (which you have all audio availaible).

It’s not that easy to buy an Oppo, given that they were discontinued months ago. The few that are still around cost several hundred pounds more than a Sony X700 does.

Playing across the network works just fine with an X700 too. The only limitation is the audio (the muxing process only works for AC3); we’ll have to wait and see if they get around that.

And subtitles for foreign language scenes also not working thats why i said buy an Oppo (which are expensive as hell).

Not sure what you are getting at there, possibly I misunderstood. A correctly authored MKV file works perfectly with Kodi in terms of automatically showing forced subtitles for foreign-language scenes. However, it does require some work/attention to prepare the file correctly in terms of identifying the required tracks from the source and then setting the flags appropriately in the mkv file.

iam talking about dolby vision mp4 which is not supporting subs not mkv

Thanks for clarifying. And mp4 does not support Dolby TrueHD audio either? mp4 seems a very compromised/limited container type, but can see how for experimenting with the DV it’s curious to explore.

No HD Audio yeah mp4 is indeed very limited i only know a few shops who use it (like itunes?) no idea how they get the subtitles in with freeware its impossible.

Ffmpeg can convert other subtitle formats into mov_text, I think.