Trouble playing 4k mkv files with Dolby Vision Stream included

It does, however, support Dolby Digital Plus, which can sound a great deal better than plain AC3 (although converting into that format is a bit of a fiddle).

Dolby Vision isn’t supported

Atmos and TrueHD passthrough should work

This is the way I see it right now:

The format of the frames sent through HDMI to a TV set is different if it’s SDR, HDR10… HLG…DV… Each one has its own metadata/headers… format…

A SDR video frame differs from an HDR video frame (that’s why tone mapping processing is needed to convert an HDR-only track to be coherently displayed in a SDR display). But both (SDR and HDR) are one-track only.

And DV frames from discs are real-time built, by DV compatible UHD players, using the HDR track and the annexed DV track to send a “new DV enhanced frame”. That’s why some times is named “dual layer”.

Latest x265 and some mkv tools are experimenting with it. Partial success with mp4 files. Nowadays, mkv seems a trickier due to lack of native “dual stream” support. And DV only tracks (like the ones streamed by Netflix to displays/devices which support it), would be only compatible with DV displays, so potentially useless/incompatibe for HDR10 only devices.

Due to this, don’t expect anytime soon a massive presence of DV files available out there. More or less like DTS tracks in the very first months (years?) during DVD first years (20 years ago).

Who knows… ?

We also need to be careful on how we implement it – as there are licensing and legal elements to be considered.

MKV does not support preserving Dolby Vision metadata; so rips are usually stored as transport streams.

Sam

1 Like

Let’s say someone reverse engineers the combining process of the main+metadata HEVC streams (from what I read that is what happens inside the DV supporting TV’s and BD players). Is it the player (Kodi / Kodi + OSMC patches) or FFMPEG used by the player that would have to implement this solution?

I read that in terms of package structure there is no issue of muxing DV streams into an mkv file. It’s just that we don’t have any open source software player that can do something useful with that metadata HEVC stream.

Until that magic happens we are stuck with our expensive DV TV to use MP4 files via TV/BD player and the additional downside of not having TrueHD in mp4.

Several components:

• ffmpeg needs to flag DV to Kodi
  • Kodi needs to configure HW decoding for Dolby Vision
  • HDMI TX layer needs to send DV data correctly to the sink

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

And Kodi needs to be the “Dolby Vision Composer”? Which is probably where the licensing question starts.

After spoken with a friend who owns a B7 he had problems with some of the DV mp4s (green picture) its on other Models too so mp4 is not the holy grail :frowning:

Edit: The Grinch (how ironic) was one of them it was totally green (no it was not like the movie). Seems like the new discs have some kind of extra DV protection? Or they changed the DV profil because with other files it works great.

Probably ICtCp colour space causing issues on his TV.

But all other DV mp4s are working? Kinda strange.

Is this a newer title?
I think the DV standard is well established now, so I’d be surprised if there are big changes

Sam

Its “The Grinch” from 2018 the new UHD which came out a few days ago.

Do we know anything more about this?
How to achieve single layer DV files from my UHD discs?

MKV does not support the Dolby Vision Stream! MakeMKV will ignore it automatically.