Troubles playing 1080p HEVC video on Rpi 3B

First off, here’s the logs:
Log

My 3B is really struggling to play this mkv of Mad Max: Fury Road from a USB HD running off the pi. I’ll get stuttering and the audio will drop out during some sections. I’ve been monitoring the temperature via vcgencmd measure_temp and it’s high, but maxing out somewhere around 74-75C. I’m using aluminum heat sinks on the CPU and GPU, and a copper sink on the RAM, plus an iUniker case with the fan on high

Are there any settings that I can tweak to get more stable performance? I tried a mild overclock, but that made things more unstable.

Thanks!

I would Re-encode the video as the RPI 3B lacks hardware acceleration for hevc videos that Vero 4k+ has this feature as part of its product, reason why you suffering as the rpi is software rendering the video which is very heavy work resulting in it generating a lot of heat resulting in the device downclocking its cpu to reduce the heat which results in the stuttering you have noticed

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the tip! What codecs does the 3B support for hardware acceleration?

It support H264 8bit depth just avoid the 10bit depth as there is no hardware acceleration for it either.

1 Like

H.264 by default. It can be quite cheaply upgraded to support MPEG-2 and VC-1 in hardware, but I think most people don’t bother: it’s powerful enough to decode standard definition MPEG-2 in software, and HD resolution MPEG-2 is fairly rare. There are some older blu rays that use VC-1.

1 Like

Ah, I accidentally encoded with 10 bit depth. I’ll stick with H.264 8 bit from now on. Thanks!

One last question. Can I use x264 instead of h264?

That question doesn’t really make sense. x.264 is a programme designed to encode videos in h.264 format.

Ah, revealing my ignorance. Just trying to figure out all the flags for handbrake. Thanks again.

If you stick with h.264 high 4.1 with a constant frame rate that will give you a file with very broad support for just about any player. I personally tend to use software (ie not Intel or Nvidia) encode, slow, constant quality @ 18 but these settings affect the quality and file size, not the ability of a player to decode them.

Interesting. I’ll start experimenting and see what works the best. At this point I’m only playing files off a USB HD attached to the RPi, so I’m really just trying to optimize playback on that device.