Troubleshooting persistent update failures

For some time now (months perhaps?) I’ve been experiencing OSMC update failures. Everything seems to run fine, and I’ll get a pop-up about once a day that says there are updates available. If I opt to apply these updates, it attempts to download and apply them, but after a reboot it reports that one or more updates failed. I’m not quite sure where to start looking to troubleshoot this, but I figured the logs certainly couldn’t hurt. Here’s the link generated when I ran “grab-logs” via the CLI: http://paste.osmc.io/lumafagahi

I’m running OSMC on a Raspberry Pi, and I’ve got an external USB drive attached to store the media. It’s connected to the network via a WiFi USB adapter. Video and audio are both output via HDMI. I’m using the CEC feature to control the GUI, which is working fine. Let me know if there are any other details that might help resolve this issue.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Run from the CLI sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
are there any errors?

sudo apt-get update

did not produce any errors

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

ran and seemed to proceed normally except for the following warnings/errors:

[snip]

Setting up rbp1-image-4.4.3-1-osmc (1) ...

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.4.3-1-osmc/build
However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.4.3-1-osmc/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.4.3-1-osmc/source
However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.4.3-1-osmc/source

[snip]

Setting up cpio (2.11+dfsg-4.1+deb8u1) ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /bin/mt-gnu because link group mt is broken

Everything else proceeded normally without errors or warnings. I can get the entire output if you think it would be useful…

That’s normal, now run update from within OSMC to clear the update message and you should be set

I will have to wait until I get home to try that unless there’s a way to do it via CLI. Right now I’ve been troubleshooting via SSH over the Internet.

I checked for updates via the MyOSMC application, which reported that no updates were available and everything was up to date. I think this resolved the problem but I’ll keep an eye on it and post here if I see any more updates offered that fail. Thanks for your help, that was an easier fix than I anticipated.