Trying to run fsck via recovery console

I finally got into recovery console (I had to be really quick with the shift key), and I’m having problems due to my TV’s overscan. I can’t really read a lot of what it’s saying so I’m trying to work half in the dark.

I’m not really sure if I should be doing fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1 or fsck /boot

Maybe neither of those are right, I’m not entirely sure. After trying them it seems to drop back to an even shorter prompt so I can see even less of what I’m typing, lol. Maybe fsck is running and I need to give it time?

Any help would be appreciated!

dmesg paste

An automatic fsck runs when you enter the recovery console. It only scans the root partition though not the fat boot partition.

If you can’t see anything you really need to sort out the overscan on your TV. Disconnecting the power while fsck is making repairs is also a really bad idea.

My TV’s too old to have any overscan settings. I may have broken out of an fsck scan but I didn’t disconnect the power.

You might need to plug it into a monitor temporarily then.

I think I was able to do it. It said it removed the dirty bit.

If anyone can take a look @ my logs real quick and see if they see anything troubling? I’ve been having strange problems today, not sure what their source is yet.

http://paste.osmc.io/gadosibite

Umm, and clues as to what “strange problems” means ? Otherwise it’s just looking for a needle in a haystack…

Nothing I can really pin down as of yet. Files written to a drive by deluge over nfs seem to get corrupted a lot lately and need to be deleted and re-downloaded. Checking that drive doesn’t report any problems with the filesystem. If I try do just do a force recheck and resume in deluge eventually returns an error: file too short: reading p: 3400 b: 0 s: 262144 (read: 131188) or the like, but it never redownloads properly without being deleted and started fresh.

I was playing a video earlier over nfs and it kept freezing or stopping (could be same file corruption problem).

Sorry, I can’t give anything more specific yet.

Update: I made a few changes to fstab to try and minimize any corruption:

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /etc/fstab 
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot    vfat     defaults,noatime    0   2
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /    ext4      defaults,noatime    0   1

192.168.1.1:/tmp/mnt/Main /mnt/Main nfs sync,intr,rw,x-systemd.automount,noauto

Hopefully sync will help on the nfs mount. I happened to run across an explanation of what the numbers at the end of the boot and root mounts do, so I changed them in the hopes that fsck would run automatically.

Update 2: I retract my previous statement. The drive shared from my router with nfs is now complaining about fs errors. Maybe it’ll turn out to be a bad drive and that’ll be the end of it. :slight_smile: