Trying to stop display of debug messages

I turned on system logging to debug my remote keycodes and turned off logging when I was done.

Unfortunately now whenever I boot a bunch of log messages are shown on the screen both at shutdown and startup.
I’d really prefer not to start from scratch :frowning:

I tried tuning logging on, rebooted and turned it off again.
I renamed the .kodi directory and rebooted to reset the kodi settings.

Any thoughts?

Device: Rasp Pi 2
Installation media: SDcard
Connection: Wifi
Power Supply Type: Canakit
Power specs: 2.5A
Peripherals: What devices are connected to your device? WD USB Drive, Canakit wifi
Storage Device (incl. Network Sharing Protocol): (USB drive, NFS, SMB?) WD USB Drive - portable 2TB
OSMC version: 2015.08-1
XBMC version: 15.1
Codecs: mpeg2
Audio/Video Output: HDMI
Overclocked: N
Config.txt Extras:None

Not sure if there is much point in uploading the logs as enabling logging caused this in the first place.

Look here

Messages are pretty normal especially when adding more options like samba/mounts/… anything that can delay a bit the boot time / shutdown time

Messages on the console during early boot are nothing to do with Kodi debug mode. Post a picture of the messages so we can see them.

Boot messages will only appear if services are failing to start, or are taking too long to start.

adding:

**systemd.show_status=0**

to /boot/cmdline.txt did the trick!

For reference the messages are of the type:

[ OK ] Starting Spacely’s sprocket engine
[ OK ] Engaging warp drive
[ OK ] Deflating footballs
[ OK ] Loving OSMC !

I may not have copied down the messages exactly as they appeared, but hopefully that gives you the idea :smile:

Nice solution, would be nice if that was default in OSMC builds though. Detracts too much from the wonderful splash image :grinning:

It’s not the default because if there are any problems preventing the system from booting up you will never see them and have no idea what is going wrong.

The default is “auto” mode, where no messages will be displayed if no errors occur, but messages will be switched on if there is an error during startup such as a service failing to start or a disk failing to mount.

Unfortunately auto mode will also switch on messages if services take “too long” to start. Unfortunately “too long” is not measured in seconds but seems to be based upon whether a slow service is delaying other services, and we have a couple of services in OSMC like http-time (which sets the system time from an http request) and the bluetooth firmware uploader on the Vero which take about 10-11 seconds to complete under normal operation and this sometimes provokes systemd to switch into displaying startup messages.

There doesn’t seem to be any easy way to turn off message display for slow services but still leave it enabled for failed services but we are continuing to investigate this - just like you we would like the boot screen to be clean unless there are actual errors that matter.

Thanks for the explanation DBMandrake. I’m assuming that Bluetooth firmware uploader is in Vero builds only?? Maybe the reason I see them on my Pi2 is because of the extra Samba server and FTP servers I have installed.

I’m sure you guys will figure out the best way to handle it, like always. No worries, just something that (me thinks) cries Beta/debug. Reminds me of past jailbreaks on my phone running code injection, lolz.

Hmm, interesting, appreciate the follow up and explanation. I wonder if it is the hard drive startup delay.
When I get a moment I will try adding “nobootwait” to fstab.