Trying to upgrade libtorrent (build from source)

I’m attempting to follow this guide to upgrade libtorrent on my rpi3.

Here’s where I’m getting stuck. I have no experience using build-dep so I’m not sure where to go from here. I know following another distro’s instructions on OSMC can be problematic so hoping for a little guidance.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get build-dep libtorrent-rasterbar
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

Since that failed, did you try the part of the instructions it tells you to do if it fails?

sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall libboost-system-dev libboost-python-dev libboost-chrono-dev libboost-random-dev libssl-dev

Hi Katze,

I modified the mentioned page multiple time at the time I compiled Deluge/libtorrent myself, you’ll succeed if you follow the remark. Be aware you’ll need to follow the “Temporary Swap File for Rasperry Pi or low memory systems” part to have a successful make.

However may I point you to another direction to ease your installation? If so I updated this page http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Linux/Debian/Jessie. This will use the PPA repository maintained by the Deluge Team and select a compatible package (Ubuntu trusty <> Debian Jessie). You’ll end with Deluge 1.3.14 and libtorrent 1.0.11, last confirmed working version.

I’ve some command line useful to clean your system if Deluge was compiled too
Feel free to come back if you have any question

This looks like this is the easiest way to get a newer version. I half want to find a way to remove the version I previously compiled and install from the repo while keeping all the torrents loaded in Deluge that are seeding. I’ve made this transition before, but it’s been some time. And I half want to just say screw it and start fresh.

In order to get the newest version of libtorrent I had to do the following:

add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb Index of /deluge-team/ppa/ubuntu trusty main

then I updated/upgraded with

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

just installing from osmc’s default repos didn’t give the latest libtorrent version.

In order to keep the current seeding torrent, only the deluge/state/ folder need to be saved. You can in place upgrade your setup but I personally start from fresh each time and when Deluge is again configured I copy back the state folder.

that’s not all the steps of the link I gave you http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Linux/Debian/Jessie

What about this part?
apt-get update
apt-get install -t trusty libtorrent-rasterbar8 python-libtorrent
apt-get install -t trusty deluged deluge-web

Should be me and as I don’t want anything left from a previous installation: Save your deluge profile including the state folder in a personal folder. Install deluge/deluge-web and libtorrent from the PPA repo ad described. When you have a functional setup stop the deluged daemon and copy back the content of the state folder to the new location +chown if necessary. In anyway if the state folder has a backup, you won’t loose anything

This part didn’t work:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ‘deb Index of /deluge-team/ppa/ubuntu trusty main’
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

Had to add the source somehow, so I did it manually. Otherwise, those are the directions that I followed.

Ah, and to answer your next question: I installed python-software-properties and it didn’t fix the issue.

You’re right about the command, not installed by default under OSMC. You can install it but better to do it manually:

edit the apt source file

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Append the following lines to the file

deb Index of /deluge-team/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src Index of /deluge-team/ppa/ubuntu trusty main

After considering my previous post in this topic ( state folder backup and/or remove all deluge/libtorrent compiled first) you’re ready to go with

apt-get update
apt-get install -t trusty libtorrent-rasterbar8 python-libtorrent
apt-get install -t trusty deluged deluge-web