TVHeadend 4.2 released

4.3 will never be the stable version… 4.4 will be.
The major drawback is the jump from 4.1 unstable to 4.2 stable took more than 2 years, so who knows what will happen with 4.3.
Anyway, I don’t see a major issue if OSMC TvHeadend will be based in the 4.3 bleeding edge version… In the meantime who prefers the stable branch, version 4.2.2 was released just few weeks ago.

Do you have a link to support this?

Certainly happy to reconsider and release 4.2 if you are willing to give it some testing

Happy to do so - will you package it?

Yes – can do so in the next day or so.

Sam

Hi

I have built 4.2.2 and it’s ready for testing.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please let me know if working as expected.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Currently installing and configuring tvheadend 4.2.2. Thanks for the hard work and the update.
Will let you know how it goes.
So far so good. OTA EPG works, no issues with recording.
Congrats Sam! Looking forward to the release.

Not good here, I’m afraid. Background: previous tvh was compiled by me and running from a commandline in rc.local. I commented out that line, performed the upgrade and got server not responding.

Logs here

The offending file ~/.hts/tvheadend/accesscontrol/1 looks like this:

{
	"enabled": 1,
	"username": "osmc",
	"password": "osmc",
	"comment": "Default access entry",
	"prefix": "0.0.0.0/0,::/0",
	"dvrallcfg": 1,
	"webui": 1,
	"admin": 1,
	"id": "1",
	"streaming": [
	],
	"dvr": [
	]
}

Stop the Service by
sudo service tvheadend stop
start the service by
sudo tvheadend -C

Thanks. That worked, after I had discovered my old tvh was in /usr/local/bin and had to be removed manually.

BUT 1: it only works with tvh started from a command like that - did not survive a re-boot with tvh started as a service - same errors as reported above.
BUT 2: the epg did not work, and channel icons did not load.

FWIW! I did a fresh install of OSMC then followed Sam’s instructions. Multiple reboots still going strong. Did not want to take a chance of upgrading and totally borking all the work if done. Wish i could offer some advice to help grahamh.

Yes a fresh install might be the final answer. But if others get the same result as mine, that could be a load of frustration all over the world, so it would be good to track it down. I half solved the EPG issue once I had figured out how to turn on the Freeview module in tvh (you need to press Save at each module change). Now the EPG is populated in tvh and in Kodi running in Windows but blank in OSMC.

The icon issue is more perplexing. I found that you need to turn on the Advanced interface in tvh to reveal the icon path. With that set, though, many/most of the icons are the wrong ones! Not in the tvh web interface, but just in Kodi. And using the same tvh server from the Windows Kodi they are also wrong but some are different from those in OSMC.

All of the above while tvh is running from the commandline.

I didn’t test TVHeadend 4.2 yet myself, simply that it built. It’s very
likely that an update to the default configuration issue is needed. You can
view it here: osmc/postinst at master · osmc/osmc · GitHub

Sam

Made some progress. The bottom line is (probably) don’t expect to save any of your previous configuration. The safest thing to do is delete completely ~/.hts and be prepared to go through the setup steps in the tvh web interface again. They’ve added a wizard that makes it slightly less painful, but it’s not obvious that the EPG grabber options and the channel icon path options are only available if you give yourself ‘Advanced’ privileges. It’s not enough to choose ‘Advanced View’ top right.

@Marc_Knochenbruch’s suggestion helped but the configuration from that is saved in /root/.hts, so when you re-boot and tvh is looking for the config in /home/osmc/.hts it fails. But I think clearing out /home/osmc/.hts has the same effect as the -C option.

As with many of these things, you have to do them in the right order, so I’ll go through it again starting from last night’s backup :sunglasses: and let you know if any tweaks in postinst might help.

Remaining issue: I no longer have the ability to pause live TV. Must be an option somewhere…

Are you guys saying that updating from 4.0.9 in App Store to 4.2.2 causes
a loss of configuration? Or are you saying that migration doesn’t work when using
a locally compiled version. I suspect the latter as we wouldn’t save TVHeadend
data in /root/.hts.

Sam

OK, I’ve repeated the upgrade starting from where I was last night and it’s like this:

User profiles are stored in ~/.hts/tvheadend/accesscontrol/ Tvheadend should never be run as root with no user specified. It can be run as osmc or as sudo with the -u osmc switch. So the root issue was a red herring. (or a mistake by Marc, however you want to present it :wink:)

Your postinst creates a user profile for osmc in ‘1’ if that file doesn’t exist. That could overwrite any existing entry for user osmc, and the file it writes is not compatible with 4.2.2. So for anyone installing 4.2.2 for the first time it fails. It is unnecessary to create this file as tvh will create a default entry when it first starts up if none exist and the existence of this file may stop the wizard launching in tvh which would be a bad idea. I suggest that if …fi is removed. You have to then manually create the osmc user in the web interface but that’s easy with the wizard. For a migration from a previous AppStore install that file is not created, as I read it, so should not be an issue.

The bottom line is if anyone has rolled their own tvheadend and wants to keep their settings, that postinst will need to be changed. Currently, the workaround is to install, then delete accesscontrol/1, then sudo systemctl restart tvheadend.

TVH automatically updates the config files to the latest version. In my case, it did not migrate the streaming and dvr settings from my existing osmc user and I had to set these in the tvh web interface before everything worked. That also gave me back my pause button on live TV :slight_smile: I can’t see why the same issue would not apply to a migration upgrade. Unless/until this is fixed by the tvh team, it’s worth a warning in the upgrade instructions.

HTH

We can’t really move to TVH 4.2.2 until we can guarantee that users
can upgrade without issues and loss of settings.

Okay – please suggest an appropriate config for 4.2.2
We want the default osmc credentials to be valid on initial installation.

Our intention is to support official installations of TVHeadend via our App Store.

OK looking into this. Meanwhile found a worrying thing: if I stop a recording manually, Kodi doesn’t recognise it as stopped and I can’t play it.

This is on a vanilla OSMC install, April edition with tvh 4.0.9, updated to May then upgraded as above. I wonder if @a_west can confirm this.

Just backed up my home dir. Getting ready to load OSMC w/tvh 4.2.2. will let you know.
Started a recording of “MASH” while i fed my fish. Stopped the recording, then played via OSMC gui. This was on a fresh install and upgrade yesterday.

Thanks. Could you share your .hts/tvheadend directory with me? In particular the user file in accesscontrol which defines osmc (or whatever user name you use) and the file in dvr/log which defines the MASH recording (you can find it by date and time). The recordings I’ve had trouble with have error code 300 and end up in the ‘Failed recordings’ tab of the tvh web interface with the note ‘Aborted by user’.

From Windows, using the same backend, everything works as expected but clips made with windows can’t be viewed on OSMC. They also have that error code.

And did you install 4.0.9 then upgrade it or did you install 4.2.2?

Update: I think I know the answer but your files woud be useful to confirm.