TVHeadend 4.2 released

Hello,
TVHeadend 4.2 has just been released: 4.2(.1) finally released and repos are available again - Tvheadend with a bunch of interressant features.
Could we expect it to be update into the osmc may update?
Thank you

I am trying to build TVHeadend 4.3, but it doesn’t build properly.
So for now we have to keep the current version.

I’ve had a look at this, and found that the issue is actually a GCC bug when building with march=native.

See 70132 – ARM -mcpu=native can cause a double free abort.

Unfortunately this has been known for some time, but hasn’t been resolved by Debian maintainers at this time. I will write to the mailing list now.

Sam

1 Like

FWIW!
I was able to build 4.2.1 by disabling the ffmpeg option. Currently running with little to no problems.

I tried that but found Debian’s libav too old for 4.3 to work properly

How straightforward is this to do? Is it all updated via the command line from the Github download? I’ve got a test LibreElec running it but I’d really like 4.2 on my main OS - OSMC!

So when I ran the updates from OSMC menu, it updated many packages, but Tvvheadend is still sitting at 4.0.9. Is that currently the highest version for the App Store TVH install? If not, how to I update it to a later version. I ask because 4.0.x is no longer supported. If it is the highest version, then is this thread indicating that an effort is underway to update the App Store version?

This is covered above I believe.
No new versions for now due to an upstream bug (Debian).

If you need a newer version, you need to build it yourself, but it won’t be supported in any way.

That’s how I read it, but needed clarification. I hope they fix it. I tried doing a fresh install of TVHeadend on straight raspbien, but never could get it to recognize my HDHomeRun tuners. Not sure why. Reimaged it over and over, searched all over the forums, back-and-forth with other users, wrestled with it for half a day; no joy. Then someone said “try OSMC as it comes with it as an app”. Worked on the first try, and I’ve been using your platform as a headless TVH server ever since. As such, when they fix the bug, I’ll get the update. Until then, I’ll stick with what works: your version.

Thanks again for the clarification. Keep up the good work.

Took a stab at compiling 4.2.2. Still get an error with static-ffmpeg. Not sure what ffmpeg does here to be honest. For me the only issue i have is starting tvheadend at boot. Tried to enable systemd option during compile, it failed. :confused:

As long as you have all the tools to build. It’s as easy as configure,make, make install. :wink:
I succeeded… so it can’t be that hard. A little time consuming.

I have this in rc.local:

tvheadend -f -u osmc -g video -l /home/osmc/tvhlog --debug --trace

Old school, but it works :wink: You won’t need the logging option unless you have issues.

Yep! Works like a charm. Thanks!

So, will tvheadend app store version be based in the dev branch 4.3 instead of the stable branch 4.2?.

It’s worth being aware that the official 4.2 builds for Ubuntu armhf and arm64 do not support transcoding. As per comments above I’d expect almost all Osmc users are not transcoding or remuxing the ts streams and therefore would benefit from 4.2.

I am looking forward to the ability to start and stop recordings at the exact moment signalled by the channel.

Some info extracted from Tvheadend forums about how to compile it for raspbian based distributions, basically use --disable-ffmpeg_static --disable-libav for building it:

Yes – that wasn’t the issue. It was that ./configure was broken. It’s resolved in 4.3 now but I understand that’s a test version

Sam, running 4.3-117~gddf420b still had to disable ffmpeg to get pass make. It would be nice to see an update to tvheadend in OSMC . :sunglasses:

4.3 is in repo now and will build without issue.
But now everyone is saying that 4.3 is unstable, so waiting until it is :wink:

Hi Sam,

Looking forward to it.
And offering to test the config I used to have on my RPI3 OpenElec Kodi, before I switched to OSMC 2 months ago.
Since then very satisfied with the quality and stablity of it compared with the past, but I miss this functionality for IPTV.

Regards