Tvheadend broken after upgrade?

I had tvheadend working. I did an upgrade this morning and it now seems to be broken.

The tvheadend service won’t start. Here is the output from “systemctl status -l tvheadend.service” below. Am I correct in thinking that this is telling me that there has been a segmentation fault? It’s not telling me much else that might help to diagnose the root cause of the problem. Is anybody else seeing this and if so has anybody been able to fix it?

● tvheadend.service - TVHeadend Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tvheadend.service; enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Sat 2015-03-07 10:21:01 UTC; 4s ago
Process: 17149 ExecStop=/usr/bin/rm /run/tvheadend.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 17140 ExecStart=/usr/bin/tvheadend -f -p /run/tvheadend.pid -C -u osmc -g video (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 17141 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)

Mar 07 10:21:01 asia systemd[1]: Unit tvheadend.service entered failed state.

Have you searched the forum?

Yes, I didn’t find anything that helped with this specific problem.

I can confirm this problem on RPi 2: armv7-tvheadend-app-osmc:armhf (3.9.0-5) segfaults with the old .hts/tvheadend directory. If I delete/move this, it starts again, but the created files are quite different and configuration of (DVB-C sundtek device/special userspace driver, in this case) muxes etc is not possible. Files on request.
Apart from helping to debug the problem: is the previous (3.9.0 ?) package version available somewhere, please? Seems not to be in the repository.

Regards, Lutz

Yes, exactly the same symptoms that I see.

(same problems with armv6l-tvheadend-app-osmc)

Hi

Just to clarify: is the issue segfault post-upgrade? Has this been after upgrading from an unofficial release to the OSMC one?

S

Yes, segfault (and different behaviour) after upgrade. Upgrade between OSMC package versions.

From /var/log/apt/history.log:

Start-Date: 2015-03-06 22:51:08
Commandline: apt-get dist-upgrade
Install: python-pkg-resources:armhf[…]
Upgrade: […]armv7-tvheadend-app-osmc:armhf (3.9.0, 3.9.0-5)[…]

and it’s only in your repository:

apt-cache policy armv7-tvheadend-app-osmc

armv7-tvheadend-app-osmc:
Installiert: 3.9.0-5
Installationskandidat: 3.9.0-5
Versionstabelle:
*** 3.9.0-5 0
500 http://apt.osmc.tv/ jessie/main armhf Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Another update to 3.9.0-7, but the problems persist.

I experienced the problem after doing an upgrade to an existing OSMC installation, i.e. apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade.

I followed lvp’s directions thought and moved the old .hts/tvheadend directory. That eliminated the segmentation fault and the service started successfully, but tvheadend doesn’t work, exactly as described by lvp.

Even with a fully fresh reistal of the RC PI2 version (and all updates), tvheadend is not working with my Sundtek DVB-C stick. Service scan does work with dvb5-scan. But within the tvheadend interface, channel list from /usr/share/tvheadend/data/dvb-scan/dvb-c/ is not selectable anywhere (/usr/share/tvheadend/data/dvb-scan is set as “DVB scan files path” in Configuration.)

The “TV adapters” section looks strange, too (it’s only one stick).

As all recent osmc tvheadend packages are broken, as I workaround I built on the RPi2 itself from tvheadend git repository. This version does work (with the old configuration files, too).

Lutz

Same issue with a dvb-t tuner. I can’t add muxes for my network and the tuner appears as a directory. The package seems to be broken.

Still broken for me too. Is there any estimate of when this will be fixed in the repositories?

@Dave
This isn’t a fix for the OSMC tvheadend package but until the issue with the OSMC package is fixed you could try to build your own package.

see my instrunctions on how to do it if you want to:

I should get some time off next week to have another go

Sam

1 Like