Tvheadend EPG not populating

The hardware:

  • Raspberry Pi 2
  • KWorld UB435-Q USB ATSC TV Stick

Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Muxes: ATSC Center Frequencies

I have been struggling to get my system 100% up and running. TVheadnend is finding channels and mapping everything properly, but the EPG is not populating. I’m using TVheadend directly from OSMC. I am at a loss. Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

Here’s what I did to get mine working. US also with ATSC near Gettysburg, PA

Make sure your xml grabber is working. Go to the EPG Grabber tab and look at the Module line. Make sure it is pointing to your xmltv.xml file.

I was hoping that I could simply use OTA grabber data instead of setting up an xmltv feed so that I can use the cron in the tvheadend OTA grabber section instead of having to set up a cron job.

But, I did go through using information from this youtube video, zap2xml and this little How To, but still no success. The xmltv.xml file is being properly generated and I mapped the EPG Source to a couple of channels without success.

Look at your tv_grabber_file. Make sure the ‘cat’ path is pointing to your xamltv.xml file (e.g. /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/xmltv.xml). Also make sure you have permissions set right on the xmltv file, it should be world readable.

I guess I should post what I did. I am using openmediavault as my tvheadend server, but any linux system should be about the same.

I first downloaded the tv_grab_file: wget, then chmod +x on that file. I did a sudo ln -s /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/tv_grab_file /usr/bin/tv_grab_file. (Make sure to edit the file so it points to your xmltv.xml file referenced in the above post.)

Next I downloaded the file and saved it in the /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend folder. I also mad sure to su hts. Next I chmod +x Then I ran perl -u username -p password -d 4 -i icons -F

This was of course after signing up for a zap2it account. When you run the script for the first time it will take a while for it to run, depending on how many channels you are receiving. Once that was done, I went back into TVH → Configuration → Channel EPG → EPG Grabber and unchecked the Force initial EPG scan at startup. Save, then recheck that box and click save. There is a bar at the bottom of that screen, and if you click it, it will bring up the active logs so you can see if it is actually reading the file or not.

Next go back to your Channels tab and make sure you edit each channels EPG source. That is what maps each xml channel to it’s guide. That should get your channels populating with the guide. make sure you save after editing the EPG source before navigating away form that tab or you will lose all of your mappings. Ask me how I know that one :wink: