TVHeadend - keeping muxes up to date

Does anyone else in the UK find that TVHeadend is rubbish at keeping its muxes up to date? All my official Freeview devices (several TVs and a PVR) all happily re-tune and if there is a new mux they find it as they work through the scan. But with TVHeadend, if a mux moves, TVHeadend does not work that out even with a full re-scan. I have found on two occasions now that I have to add new muxes manually to recover channels. E.g. today I noticed that the muxes associated with BBC News HD and BBC Four HD were showing as failed scans in TVHeadend, and after some digging, found that the Crystal Palace transmitter has moved these to muxes on 746 and 754 MHz respectively, which were not in TVHeadend’s network scan list. On manually editing the mux list in TVHeadend, I had a successful scan at those frequencies and I now have the missing BBC HD channels again.

Is there a configuration in TVHeadend that I’m missing that would enable it to do a better job of keeping up with all the UK mux changes that are taking place at present? On the Networks tab I already have Network discovery set to “New muxes + changed muxes”.

Thanks.

I forgot to add, I am running Tvheadend 4.2.3-20 on a Pi.

It’s not easy to find anything that does a channel by channel re-scan like TVs do. I gave up and did it manually - should be only once every few years, after all!

Thanks, so it seems there isn’t an auto-scan function, just wanted to check I wasn’t missing it. Back in January the ukfree.tv site was able to give me the info I needed when BBC Four HD moved, but today it’s showing out-of-date info. I found the latest info at this web-site, which I’ll bookmark as it notes the UHF channel switches that have occurred, and there is also a frequency table available.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/freeview-changes-in-london-21st-march.html

https://www.a516digital.com/2013/05/uhf-channels-and-centre-frequencies.html

1 Like

I just found that the DVB Signal Condition menu on my TV’s shows the frequency and UHF channel number of the channel I’m watching, so the next time a channel drops from TVHeadend I can simply pull it up on my TV and will find out immediately which frequency it’s moved to, can then easily update TVHeadend rather than trawling the web. Feels like this ought to be something that TVHeadend could cope with, maybe a future version…

I suspect it does do a full spectrum scan if know which buttons to press but I couldn’t be bothered trying find it.

Thanks for the tips.

If I remember correctly there is an option in tvheadend for ‘network discovery’, that should add any new muxes provided at least one of the old ones is still valid, it might require ‘idle scan muxes’
to be enabled, but I’m not sure about that. And a516digital is a great site for keeping up with Freeview changes.

Network discovery does not work for most. Each mux puts out metadata for the other muxes and TVH is trained to use that to discover them. Unfortunately, the broadcasters send the same stream to all transmitters in a region. They don’t send different metadata to each transmitter. So my transmitter (Dover) sends the frequencies for Bluebell Hill for example. Network discovery justs adds a load of frequencies which fail to scan.

You could be lucky if your transmitter is the chosen one in a region. Then again, who’s to say the technicians are actually updating that metadata with each channel swap - it seems TVs don’t use it, anyway. If even Crystal Palace doesn’t put out the right frequencies, network discovery has no hope.

I don’t remember updating the muxes on the tvheadend setup at my mum’s recently but it has the moved muxes on there (although my memory has been rubbish recently so who knows :smiley:) , and that is crystal palace. Also last time I checked it worked on my system on the Mendip transmitter. I’ve never had to use a relay transmitter, but yes, I can imagine the data would be wrong for them.

Your mum was lucky, then. Sam is on Crystal Palace and got caught. Maybe he doesn’t have network discovery on, though.