I have a Raspberry Pi2 and am running the latest version of OSMC. I have purchased an official OSMC DVB-T2 dongle. I successfully went through the initial setup process about a week ago, everything seemed to be ok, but watching channels was a bit flakey. Then on Monday I was in the middle of watching a program and suddenly started getting errors like “HTSP client no connection” and “No Signal”.
I have tried removing and reinstalling TvHeadend a couple of times using the following commands I found on the forum:
Channels wouldn’t scan properly and I was still getting “No Signal” errors. I tried the above commands a final time tonight and was able to scan all expected channels, however I still get “No Signal” errors. I know that there is no problem with signal as I have plugged the exact same coaxial cable directly into my TV and have no issues whatsoever.
I have uploaded some debug logs here.
I’m about to start pulling my hair out here .
BTW the TVHeadend server and client are both running on the same RaspberryPi.
Jan 11 20:07:07 OSMC tvheadend: linuxdvb: adapter 0 has tuner count 2 for type DVB-T (wrong config)
Jan 11 20:07:07 OSMC tvheadend: linuxdvb: adapter 0 has tuner count 1 for type DVB-C (wrong config)
so it seems like the adapters aren’t correctly recognized or configured.
These USB sticks (I have 3 of different makes) are not as sensitive as the tuners in TVs. Just because you get a good signal for your TV doesn’t mean it’s good enough for a USB stick. If I use just one stick, the signal can be be marginal - I now have an aerial amplifier to feed two sticks and TV at the same time. Also, make sure you have got decent aerial cabling. Cable connectors and leads - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials
For some reason, if you ever enable then disable the Realtek tuner things go wonky. The fix is to wipe just the hardware configs and re-tune:
I understand that this is the case and have read a little about USB tuner sensitivity. However I don’t feel that this explains why I had signal before and not now (also back when the signal was coming through, I was experimenting with using a UHF amplifier and it didn’t seem to make any discernible difference to the signal so I stopped using it). I feel that something else is wrong (be it hardware, software or config). When it was coming through, the signal wasn’t perfect, but it was definitely watchable. Now suddenly I am unable to get any signal at all and am unable to watch anything.
Thanks for this suggestion. I don’t think I have enabled the Realtek tuner, but it’s definitely worth a try (I’m willing to try just about anything at this point). How do I re-tune without running the whole setup wizard again? Or is that what I need to do?
Actually, if you already have channels scanned, there is no need to re-tune those. What I suggested doesn’t wipe the tuning data. It should (!) gradually pick up any channels you were missing.
Thought: You could also try a powered hub in case it’s not getting enough juice.
Yeah, I’ve had a few of these things. I can never actually measure any improvement in signal level, but since installing the latest I’ve never seen any picture breakup/blocking which was happening too often before.
Thanks again for your suggestion @grahamh, I have run the above commands and all three tuners show up as expected. I have now enabled the Sony DVB-T however when I attempt to watch a channel it now says “No free adapter available”
Really though I don’t think I should need to go in and manually remove adapters etc if I have completely removed and reinstalled the entire TvHeadend OSMC app multiple times. Each time I did that I should have been starting with a fresh instance of the program.
Also in terms of powered hubs and aerial amplifiers, I’m open to forking out money to improve signal and quality. However the key word there is “improve”. I’m not getting any signal at all and I am on my TV. So I guess I’m not really happy to spend on additional devices on the maybe that it’ll “improve” my issue.