TVheadend problems after new update - lose list of recordings

Since the update, i’ve had problems with my Tvheadend. I receive OTA channels and record to attached hard drives. The antenna is attached to an HDhomerun tuner which distributes the channels to the Raspberry Pi running OSMC.

Two problems:

1. If ever I have to restart my Pi server, i end up losing the list of recordings (except curiously for two recordings - the same ones each time). The only way I can repopulate the list is by ssh and running the following command:

systemctl restart tvheadend

Also, Restarting the Pi server is not the only time that this happens as I will lose my list of recordings at seemingly anytime of the day. However, as mentioned above, restarting doesn’t solve the problem and I have to do the command above.

1. Since the update, I’ve also had an issue with the guide. As you maybe aware, the top of the guide now has options for all channels, SD channels, HD channels. That’s new. However, the guide is now offset by one channel. for example, the first (top) channel in the guide will not have any entries in the guide. The next channel below in the guide will have the entries for the channel above it, and so on. Hope this makes sense. This seems to be sporadic so I can’t do any logs for this.

The logs for the first issue is here:
http://paste.osmc.io/ezavisoxaz.vhdl

Your help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

100% its the disk

check smart data also what type of partiton does the hdd use ?

im using OTA and an external hdd and have had 0% issues with the updates running on bleeding edge .

Yep, I tend also in what @Toast assumes. Nevertheless, some more data could be helpful to understand the issue:

The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I noticed this at one point, but it seems to have gone away now. Suggest you update again and also check for pvr.hts updates.

Thank you very much for your replies! I appreciate them.

smart status passed. i’m running an extended scan of my drive now. should take a bit of time. the short scan passed.

the partition is NTFS.

@JimKnopf - i did provide the log for this in my post. it is slightly sanitized for privacy but it is there.

@grahamh - i can’t seem to figure out how to update tvheadend. the server i’m running is version 4.2.6 and when i see it in “my osmc” it doesn’t provide me the possibility of updating. the client is 4.4.17 and there are no updates available.

I’ll check back in once the full scan is done. If you have anymore ideas, please let me know. One possibility - could the SD card in the Raspberry Pi be faulty? if so, how would i go about checking that?

Thanks again!

You are up to date already.

The Kodi log alone is not useful in debugging this issue.

The Hard Drive passed the extended test too. Nothing seems to be wrong with it.
@ActionA - here is the (partially sanitized) log:
http://paste.osmc.io/arelafitag.xml
Hopefully this helps. I noticed a number of “tvheadend[730] : dvr: unable to stat file”. Although my first thought here goes to permissions, would that explain why two files (in the same location) would be available to the PVR when these errors occur, and also why the command restarting the tvheadend would fix the permissions? Then again I am new to this so hoping i can get some help. Thanks!

Are these the recordings you’re missing?

May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Leverage-ION2019-04-2507-00-S03E04.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/NOVA-WTVS-HD2019-04-2421-00-S46E07.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Leverage-ION2019-04-2509-00-S03E06.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Leverage-ION2019-04-2508-00-S03E05.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/NCIS: Los Angeles-WWJ-HD2019-04-2822-00-S10E21.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Nature-WTVS-HD2019-05-0201-30-S37E16.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/National Geographic-TVO2019-04-2800-00.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/NOVA-WTVS-HD2019-05-0121-00-S37E11.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/To Be Announced-CBET-DT2019-05-0100-30.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/New Amsterdam-WDIV-HD2019-04-3022-00.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Nature-WTVS-HD2019-04-2920-00-S37E14-1.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/The National-CBET-DT2019-04-2522-00.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/National Geographic Titles-TVO2019-04-2900-00.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/This Old House-D-CREAT2019-04-2910-00-S40E20.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Leverage-ION2019-04-2910-00-S03E11.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/Nature-WTVS-HD2019-05-0102-00-S37E15.ts'
May 02 18:38:36 osmc tvheadend[730]: dvr: unable to stat file '/media/My Passport/PVR/National Geographic Titles-TVO2019-04-2819-00.ts'

Hi JimKnopf - these are recordings that are missing from my list. I have the actual files saved on the hard drive but they do not show up on the list of recordings.

One more thing that I just noticed. When i run the tvheadend restart command, although I gain the list of recordings, I end up losing all the guide data (my guide shows up as a list of channels but no entries). weird that if i select “channels” instead of “guide”, the list of channels and the current entries shows up in “channels”. not sure if you guys need another log entry for that or if this helps resolve the issue.
thank you!

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling TVHeadend. Back up the /home/osmc/.hts directory first but a re-install should preserve it.

If that doesn’t work, I’m wondering if @Toast is right about the ‘disk’ but it’s the SD card that’s playing up.

thanks @grahamh for your reply. However, i uninstalled and then reinstalled and there was no change.

if anyone has ideas that wouldn’t require me to reinstall the OS on another card and then build from scratch, i’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Please share the links from:

mount | paste-log
ls -l /media/My\ Passport | paste-log

@millham:
Here’s the link. I put them both in the same site:
http://paste.osmc.io/ozaretamin.hs

So your drive is mounting. Please share this link now:

ls -l /media/My\ Password/PVR

it’s on the same page right below the mount portion.

No, it’s not the same directory that I asked for. I want to see whats in the PVR directory now.

my mistake! sorry. will get that a little later tonight hopefully.

http://paste.osmc.io/jemewujiqu.diff

Hope this helps. Thanks for your help here.

I don’t use TVH, but if you run that command after a reboot then everything works until the next reboot? If so, then the problem seems to be that TVH is starting before the drives are mounted.