Tvheadend recording problems

I seem to have a lot of problems with tvheadend live tv recording.

1. The recording schedule appears in the “Digital Video Recorder” tab of http://192.168.1.29:9981/ but it just does not record, i.e. no file was found in the recording directory even when the display says “now recording…”
  2. Sometimes the file is created but the file is very short and does not play.
  3. Sometimes the file seems to be the right size (a few GB) but does not play.
  4. When I do a “record series” some of the show just does not record, some does.
  5. The file type is inconsistent. It could be “unknown”, “Mpeg-2 Transport Stream” or “message catalog.” They all may play or they may not irrespective of the type.

I used to run Mythtv on a Gentoo system using a Sony Play TV and it was flawless. With kodi, however, I can never be sure if the recording is successful. The live TV works just fine.
I’m running 4.2.3-2-osmc and the tvheadend is 4.0.5 on a Raspberry Pi 2.
The recording directory is on a Synology NAS.
The tuners are two Sony Play TV, i.e a total of 4 tuners.

With so many problems I must be doing something wrong. Can Tvheadend record to a Synology NAS? I have noticed the connection delay sometimes causes the replay to fail until I click on the file a second time.

Hi sardine,

Yes Tvheadend can record to your NAS. You may have some permission problems.

How are you mounting the recoding directory on the NAS and what permissions has it got?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

Sometimes kodi can record perfectly, sometimes it can’t even create a file, sometimes it can records a bit, like a few hundred MB, sometimes it can record seemingly a whole lot of rubbish that it then can’t replay. I suppose this rules out permission problem. Anyway, following your reply I did check the permission. On the NAS, the recording directory is owned by admin with 0755 permission . I connect as admin with the option string “username=admin,password=xxx,uid=osmc,gid=osmc”
The permission is therefore OK, I think. But still, the only significant difference from everyone else set up is the NAS and the Sony Play TV.

HarryL, I will have a look at the link you provided and supply more info.