Tvheadend server

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on the installation of Tvheadend server.

I’m about to purchase the DVB-T2/DVB-C TV dongle from the OSMC store (DVB-T2/DVB-C TV dongle - OSMC)

What I want is to be able to access all my recordings from one place, so I was thinking of running the server on my QNAP NAS. However, it is a low end model so the CPU isn’t the most powerful. I’ve read on various forums and websites that TvHeadend will carry out transcoding and I don’t think the NAS will be able to cope with this.

Therefore, is it better to run the server on my Vero 4K+ and attach external storage? If I go down this route will all my other Kodi boxes be able to access the Vero TvHeadend server if I download a frontend for each box?

Lastly…if I want to be able to watch one channel whilst recording another I take it I will have to purchase 2 DVB-T2/DVB-C TV dongles for my Vero 4K+?

Thanks!

TVheadend can save the recorded stream exactly as-is and OSMC can play it, so no need for lots of CPU power. An RPi2 can do it. Whether your NAS can do it depends on what else it’s doing, I guess.

I recommend you record to a drive which is attached to the device running the DVB stick. Unless you are super-confident in your NAS/network setup. An advantage of using the NAS is presumably it’s on all the time, but the Vero might not be.

All devices on your network will be able to access the live TV and recordings through the TVH front-end plug-in to Kodi. (or, indeed, other front ends like VLC).

Digital TV has many channels on each frequency. You can watch one channel and record one or more other channels if they are on the same frequency (mux). Otherwise, you need more than one stick or just use the TV’s tuner for the channel you want to watch live.

HTH

FWIW, we went a different route. I have a separate linux box in the basement that runs tvheadend with four tuners (twp DVB-T and two DVB-C). It also acts as storage (nfs) for our audio collection.

The benefit of having it on separate hardware is that it is extremely stable and I never have to worry about OSMC updates messing it up or the recordings :slight_smile:

It is better to speread one’s eggs in multiple baskets.

Thanks for the advice.

Presently I am using a PCTV 461e DVB-S2 stick running the latest drivers.

I have downloaded the Tvheadend server from OSMC store on to my Vero 4k+. I have configured the backend and the tuner has found 120 muxes and 1163 services with a signal strength of 97%.

I have downloaded the Tvheadend HTSP client frontend in Kodi and I can see all the mapped channels. When i select an SD channel it is pixelated / jumpy and when I select a HD channel it is jumpy / choppy and freezes for a few seconds at a time. Recording and time shift works however only records the choppy picture.

Using the same coaxial RF cable and 461e stick I connected to my laptop and downloaded TVCenter 6 from PCTV website and the all the channels work perfectly. Recording and time shift work fine too.

Are there any settings in OSMC / Kodi that I can change? I’ve looked in the ‘PVR & Live TV’ menu under settings but can’t find anything that makes a difference. Ive also looked in the Tvheadend HTSP client configuration and again no settings changes make any difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

So if you are not streaming through a network then just make sure Vero isn’t trying to do any unnecessary scaling. My setup:

• whitelist 576p and 1080p modes in Settings-System-Display
  • set Adjust refresh rate to On start/stop in Settings-Player-Videos
  • set Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec and set MPEG2 and h264 to always

If your signal is poor, you will get blocking, not choppiness/jumpiness.

1 Like

Ensured that all those settings were set and still problem persists.

Can you post debug logs, please? Reboot and start watching a channel which has problems.

I’m not clear how you are powering the dongle and storage. My two sticks and USB drive are all powered by a separate supply which I would recommend.

I’ll post some debug logs ASAP.

The USB dongle has its own 12v 1.5A power supply that is plugged in. I haven’t got any storage connected just using the Vero 4K+ storage at the moment.

Rebooting and watching same the channel and problem persists.

I missed that it’s a DVB-S dongle. Are satellite channels the same resolution as terrestrial, and have you got those whitelisted?