UHD 60fps movies on Vero4K+?

Hopefully you enjoyed the movie more then I did! I said fu**** this sh*** and went to bed about 45 minutes before the movie ended

There are several reports in that thread of people watching Gemini Man and experiencing overheating problems.

I watched the complete movie with no overheating. And I’d suspect that because my TV doesn’t support 4K@60 that it was adding a little more load to the GPU as it had to re-scale from 4K to 1080.

I just finished watching a Remux of Gemini Man. Vero 4K (audio passthrough enabled) to Onkyo TX-RZ810 To Samsung JS9000 4K TV. Sound is to a 7.1 KEF Sub/Sat system. The movie played faultlessly, same with the audio. I stopped at 45 & 90 minutes & using the remote, went to System Info and the temp was 85 C. Unit was warm to the touch, not hot. It sits on a glass shelf, completely out in the open.

I don’t know anything about the “Soap Opera” effect that some people talk about. I go by what my eyes see and both my wife and I agree, that the picture looked fabulous. If this is how 60fps looks like, I hope there are many more made.

I agree, I like the look of 60fps also.

Like it or not it doesn’t look like film.
Can of worms officially opened :slightly_smiling_face:

All films should be produced at 60fps or higher.
They can remove 40% of the frames and add grain and hairs and spots for those who like movies to look like film and leave it be for people who want the best possible picture quality.
Easier than doing a directors cut or extended edition.
I get it.
People are used to looking at crap production and equating that with movies.
People like to listen to vinyl still and they love the hiss and cracks and pops.
It’s nostalgia, and some people are set in their ways and can’t appreciate change, even for the better.
“This doesn’t look like a movie, it looks like a GoPro Hero video”.
I used to watch movies at the drive-in theater back in the day.
We used to tune in to an FM station to listen to the movie on the car stereo or you’d roll down your window and hang the wired speaker.
I’m not trying to emulate that experience at home.
I love my Atmos setup.
Like all advances in technology, some producers may not handle it properly and there are growing pains, but the industry eventually get’s it nailed down.
Can of worms closed!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for 8 track to make a comeback!

3 Likes

Same here. The video looks a lot cleaner doesn’t it?

1 Like

It’s not really about nostalgia or what we are “used to”. It’s more to do with how our brain processes high frame rates.
Although scientific study thinks we “see” at roughly 66fps we only consciously process that information at roughly 40fps. Anything below that creates a disconnect in our brain that what we are seeing isn’t real, anything above that tricks our brain into thinking what we are seeing is real and process it as such. Of course, what we are seeing isn’t real which is why we get the discomforting Uncanny Valley effect, same as we do with almost real animatronics.
Uncanny Valley effects some more than others and obviously, if you like the effect high frame rate creates then who’s to argue :slight_smile:

Don’t get me started on film grain and how it is the essence of film, no different from brush strokes in a painting…

I’m all nerded out now :grin:

People’s fondness for vinyl was, at least in part, because it was physically superior to CD in terms of sound reproduction. CD was limited to 16 bits, but you could get something like 22 bits from vinyl; and there are those who argue that sharp transients (like a snare drum hit) benefit from the presence of frequencies above what is normally considered the audible range. Vinyl is even more superior to an over-compressed audio download. It is most assuredly not about “pops and cracks”.

Film has, in the past, been superior to digital cameras, and in some situations still is: all 8K movie transfers have been remastered from 70mm or IMAX film prints, because no commercial digital camera can capture that resolution (or indeed that dynamic range) - that’s the reason why Christopher Nolan still prefers to shoot on film. (And if you doubt that it’s capable of impressive quality, check out Dunkirk).

But the main reason why people prefer 24fps (even when the movie was captured digitally) is precisely what CaptainMoody claims it isn’t:

It is exactly about what people are used to. People like 24fps precisely because it doesn’t look real. They watch a film to be taken out of reality, not pushed back into it. 24fps gives the whole thing a slightly dream-like quality. And once people have become accustomed to that, being pushed back into hyperreality is jarring.

It’s also partly because people have been exposed to 50 or 60fps material, and it is universally associated with cheap, in-studio TV production - sitcoms that were “videotaped before a live studio audience” and, of course, soap operas, hence the name “soap opera effect”.

This convention was established precisely because, back then, film was a superior (but more expensive) medium, even if that difference is much less clearcut today. But because of this association, high-frame-rate film looks like television instead of like film, and one’s brain simply can’t see it as anything other than TV.

So no, it’s all about what people are used to. If no one had ever seen 24fps, no one would be craving it.

5 Likes

Shooting at 120fps (like they did with Gemini Man) requires better camera sensors and the technology isn’t really there yet, not at the quality we’re used to for movies. Even Gemini Man is a compromise, just look at the day for night shots in it, they’re horrible. In a “normal” movie those could have easily been shot at night. But it would have been too noisy when shooting at 120fps.

I wouldn’t rate Vinyl audio quality as superior to CD audio. In fact, it’s lower and if you enjoy the way it sounds that’s perfectly fine of course.

1 Like

Oh please!

Check out a good vinyl system (say a Rega based one) against any CD system and vinyl will beat it hands down. People don’t spend 1000’s on a turntable because they like to hear clicks & pops. It sounds better is why.

And that’s coming from someone who adopted CD when it came out with the original Marantz CD63.

@Kontrarian This is how world war 3 starts! :grinning:

4 Likes

Anyone else seeing frame skipping on UHD 60 fps material after updating to the January update? I didn’t have any issues with that before the update.

I can’t think of what would’ve changed to cause that, unless the GPU clock frequency bump is a regression. I assume you’re testing on a 4K + and not a 4K?

Sam

Yes, 4K +. Is it like other GPU platforms where the h.264/5 decoding is done on a separate part of the GPU? Maybe a GPU clock frequency increase leaves less bandwidth in the pipeline to transfer decoded frames somehow. (I don’t really know what I’m talking about but the difference is clear)

A second reboot helped a bit, but I’m still seeing skipped frames where there were none in the previous build. This is without any active OSD. If I bring up the OSD it skips a lot more frames, but I guess that’s normal (can’t remember if it did that previously, if it did it wasn’t this obvious).

Do you know how to use SSH?