UHD playback failing at 18mins

Hi all. Since upgrading to the latest software I am having real issues with UHD playback from my NAS. Tonight I tried Batman (original) and it failed at 18:22 (playback stopped, retried, failed again after 1min). So tried Crank in UHD instead, same issue at 18mins. Seems totally fine, then dies, then can’t even get it running again.

I am connected via NFS. Only ever had this problem before with 90gb files. Now it seems to be with any.

Any ideas?

Thanks

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I had issues playing 60gb UHD remuxes over WiFi. Since then I switch to gigabit over wired and now works fine.

4K is possible over WiFi, but you may need to use an OS based mount.

It worked most of the time over wifi but some of the very high bandwidth 4k would stop after a few minutes or it would stutter. switched to wired and no issues what so ever.

I think its just a bandwidth limitation of wifi, even good 5g AC. I have a “1900” enterprise wifi access point but still had issue over wifi on some of the 4K, that would be 4K + bitstreaming HD codec as well.

The 802.11ac WiFi module will give you 230Mbps real world in a good scenario, which is enough to (almost) stream two full UHD Blu-ray rips at once.

I have had this argument a number of times, a long one was on avforums hehe.

I appreciate the bandwidth arguments but in reality WIFI doesn’t reach that bandwidth consistently.

It does.

The 433Mbps speed is the link speed, and you do not get that.
But you will get 230Mbps real world, which you can measure using iperf3.

Sam

An example that was stuttering. I had a similar issue on windows but I upgraded my HDMI to a higher bandwidth cable and that resolved the problem on windows.

On my VERO the cable is hdmi 2 at 60fps.

In my opinion it is a bandwitdth issue related to bitstreaming. Because if the bitstreaming is disabled the video plays fine. Only when enabling the bitstream does it stutter on wifi. On wired it doesn’t stutter.

Sorry didn’t mean to hijack the thread!!

ideo
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 35 min
Bit rate : 70.6 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.355
Stream size : 47.3 GiB (93%)
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.7.9 (4.7.9.0)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 1000 cd/m2

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 1 h 35 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 632 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 8 139 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 3.10 GiB (6%)
Title : TrueHD Atmos 7.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

Bitstreaming will have no impact on WiFi.
You still need to fetch the whole video and audio stream over the network.

Sorry, not been able to do the logging as yet. I am hard wired from the Vero, via a gigabit adapter into the USB port, into an unmanned gigabit switch. This connects direct to the router (circa 30m away), where the NAS is also connected. No WiFi used at all.

Not had issues before, but it’s like the Vero runs out of steam. Just stops, crashes back to skin. I start movie again from same point, but it freezes, Judders a bit, then crashes again.

Hi - logs uploaded here:

Https://paste.osmc.tv/ivakocezih

Hi,

Does the issue occur if you playback locally, for a usb a drive?

Also I could consider looking using autofs for share, as you will get better throughput:

Thanks Tom.

Hi. No issue with usb playback. Also no issue streaming to my LG TV internal player or Plex.

Will look at the suggestion. Thanks.

1 Like