Unable to connect to remote server

meh… agree to disagree solely on the basis that you’re running a business and your customers will come here and ask why this is this or that is that. The fault is in Kodi almost always from the threads I skim but in this case osmc are the face of it in part with out of the box features.

Who is getting paid is irrelevant really, it’s either well supported or not, it either works well or it doesn’t. If someone had said 'oh, the scrapers once in while crap out, just give it a bit, try swapping scrapers and if all else fails use the file manager and complain to these guys but a few of you decided to get a wee bit snippy about it, like somehow i’m supposed to be a master of Kodi and who controls what.

Again, you don’t seem to understand what you bought. You bought a piece of hardware and you get support for that hardware. The failure to understand this concept by some is why Kodi does not sell hardware. You don’t seem to understand what open source is and as a result you talk as if a bunch of volunteers giving you something for free have an obligation to you. If you were talking about Plex or AppleTV or some other closed loop solution then you would have a valid argument. After XBMC left the xbox there was a wild west situation going on with hardware that lasted for years. Most commercial solutions have been fleeting and lacking. The Vero is a signature piece of hardware designed for running some else’s software and it does that extremely well. Would you really blame your desktop computer manufacture when something goes wrong with a piece of software that is beyond their control? So just to be clear…

Vero is a piece of hardware you paid for

OSMC is a free fork of an open source operating system

Kodi is a free open source media player

TheTVDB is a independant free open source community driven information provider

As is the nature of open source you are free to contribute if something is not working the way you would like. If you disagree with the direction that any open source project is headed then you are free to copy the code and change it as you see fit.

3 Likes

Sorry but you are wrong. I’m well aware of what Kodi is, what open source is. You seem to think that I demand action be taken on my behalf. I don’t. But I can post in a forum and ask why something in the day to day most vanilla of Kodi is suddenly not working on my box.

You don’t seem to understand that the allure of the box is that it works and is supported, or at least you don’t want to and it’s very sales existence depends on how this Kodi fork runs whether that’s a modified by the devs here or not.

If the current TV scrapers packed up right now on this fork, would you all not do anything about it? Of course you would, because you know it’s a main feature that people want and almost everyone uses and you’d have a big pile of boxes sitting in storage somewhere if you didn’t.

The default laying it out for me as if i’m some complete layman and back it up with the ‘why don’t you change it if you don’t like it’ spiel has been done to death, it’s boring. I can ask questions and I can give an opinion, it’s what forums are for, maybe just be helpful and not completely patronising.

OSMC does not run a forked Kodi. My intent is not to patronise but simply to inform. That “boring” spiel has been done to death because it is as true today as the first time someone said it. Countless people have spent countless hours for almost two decades, almost all of which have gotten paid nothing, to get Kodi where it is today. Because you paid a couple bucks for a box you talk as if this small company (which I have no part of) could and should take over everything that it touches.

I don’t need you to inform me. I don’t care who gets paid or doesn’t. Vero is a business and OSMC is a modified version of Kodi to some extent.

I haven’t once said what it should or shouldn’t do I’ve put my opinion across as a consumer and a user and only because I’ve been forced to clarify my position over and over again, because a simple, helpful answer of ‘sometimes it gets borked and sorts itself’ was, I guess to much to ask from some members.

Without consumers these boxes wouldn’t exist, i can buy lots of boxes, this one handles media via Kodi. I’ve not made any demands on anyone, just asked questions. You sitting here white knighting does nothing, you’re arguing for the sake of it and you are being patronising, I’ve been well informed multiple posts ago and had a bit of help - and yet here you are… again.

OSMC is NOT a modified version of Kodi at all. OSMC is a linux distribution that includes Kodi.

You had mentioned previously that the OSMC team would have better access to the Kodi team. In the near past that was anything but true. The Kodi team for some reason (well, there was on dev in particular) did not like, nor listen to the OSMC team. Having users report issues worked better than our team reporting issues.

This situation has improved lately. But it’s still good to have users report issues to Kodi also.

Or course, the case here is more complex as it involved both Kodi and TVDB.

Sorry, then I stand corrected. It’s a version of Kodi that you are able to write your own hotfixes and work arounds with picture quality etc. So I’m not really sure what that’s supposed to be called.

Yes, you would think that the osmc would have, since they work day in and out with Kodi, you’d naturally think their word would carry some weight, which now seems to be the case? I’ve used it since original Xbox days and then off and on with the PC but Plex just seemed to do a better job - until it didn’t which for now is why I have this little box.

I’m not interested in the utter pandemonium of the Kodi forums, it’s always been such a jack of all trades and it’s been pushed to the bleeding edge. I’ve seen the way they treat people, as if they’re the true heroes of media.

That’s driver related, so directly related to the hardware we sell. Obviously we have control over this. As it has been mentioned: OSMC sells hardware with a software environment made to run Kodi.

You’ve simply been asked to also post this issue on the TVDB forum and/or the Kodi forum. Which is absolutely reasonable. We’re trying to solve issues users have with our hardware or software. Kodi is not our software, but we adapt our hardware and software (drivers, OS, etc) to give you the best Kodi experience. Therefore, people post issues they have here. We simply ask users kindly to post issues that we can’t directly solve ourselves on the respective forum. As e.g. Kodi devs probably do, if an issue is most likely OSMC related.

This has been discussed at quite some length here now and the thread has wandered off topic quite a lot. Please only post things directly related to the issue at hand.

It’s a patched version of Kodi.

From what I understand, they are making changes to Kodi (I don’t remember if it’s in V19 or V20) where they are going to de-couple the hardware layer, so that hardware specific changes can be more easily made without patching Kodi. Think of it as an addon that handles the hardware layer.

Hi,

Just catching up on the thread here. People above have covered things pretty well, so I’ll keep things short.

@darwindesign hits this on the head.

I could buy a Windows computer from Dell, but Microsoft may choose to remove a feature that I used, and this wouldn’t be an issue with Dell. Kodi uses several weather providers; and there’s no guarantee in the future that these weather providers will still exist or still provide a consumable API.

However – our goal is to provide the best experience possible where we can.

Unfortunately, a lot of TV providers provide an API, but they don’t provide the database itself. If we were to host a media provider, we’d have no fanart, metadata etc and would be starting from the beginning. It would take years to produce something that’s usable. Problem is that it would be a chicken and egg situation: no one will use it unless it’s good; it won’t be good unless people use it.

You can indeed, and hopefully we’ve provided you with a good answer. The Vero serves as a reference Kodi device; but if something is broken in Kodi itself, it will likely impact the Vero as well.

The scrapers are in a current situation because for v19, the XML API is to be deprecated in Kodi. Scrapers will need to be Python based (and Python 3 too). There is a reluctance from some Kodi developers to develop / fix something that will be deprecated in quite a short time frame. It is a case of bad timing.

Yes – we do understand this. At the moment, we are not sure of a way to remedy this.

OSMC is an operating system. The differences between OSMC and Kodi are explained concisely on the Wiki.

You are entitled to an opinion, but sometimes we cannot fix an issue. That’s when we tell users to report it to the Kodi forum, if and only if, we think it is the appropriate avenue for a fix. As an example, if a user had a problem with their TV and its CEC implementation, we would advise they seek resolution with them as well.

An OSMC scraper has been desirable for a while, but we need an off-ramp to make this happen.

S

4 Likes