Unable to login after latest update

OSMC has not, or ever will, change a user’s existing password. Did you try any of the steps that resolved the issue for op?

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I tried the solution posted (and I have every reason to believe it would work), but my wired USB keyboard which normally works fine does not work in recovery mode. So I was looking for suggestions on how to make the keyboard work in recovery mode.

I’m not saying that it was the intention for the OSMC update to change the password, I’m just saying that there have been some reports of it happening after this latest release. I know for certain that the password has changed since the update and I was not the one that changed it. I had literally just logged in via SSH immediately before the update. I also never changed my password from the default password, so there would be no reason for me to suddenly forget this password over the course of the 10 minutes that it took to run the update.

Finding a keyboard that works is your next step

Yes, I understand that. Again, my keyboard does work on my Pi in all instances, except for some reason in OSMC recovery mode. I’m not an Linux expert (which is why I came here seeking help), but it seems that the USB ports have not been activated for some reason in recovery mode. I was hoping someone had a flag or something I could set in the cmdline.txt file that would initialize my USB ports and/or load the drivers or whatever for my keyboard. But I guess not. Looks like I’ll just be wiping out my install again and starting from scratch…

In our testing, any typical USB keyboard works in recovery. If that is not the case for you then there may be more issues at play, such a system corruption, which would explain the issue with the password failure as well.

The USB ports are active in recovery mode and any USB keyboard should work. If it wouldn’t what would be the point of recovery mode if you can’t type anything ?

I have no idea why your keyboard doesn’t work in recovery, perhaps try a different keyboard. All the keyboards I have used work in recovery.