Unable to play smooth any kind of video

i have a vero 4k+ since 4 month now , and i have never been able to play a movie whitout it
always skip/bug
before the vero4k+ , i was using a raspberrypi3 for years whitout any problems
my network is hardwired and there is no network speed issue
i have tried several video option in the setting and suggestion i have read in this forum whit no effect
i have completely reeinstall osmc 3 times from sdcard to revert back all the video option change i try

whatever the codec , 4k/hdr/60fpd or 720p/h264 or h265
it all act exactly the same , many frameskip every 2 ou 3 seconds makes action scene very ugly

i have buy vero4k+ only to be able to play 4k movie , but it just dont work
for now , i have revert back to 1080 movie on my raspberry , very disappointing

i am french , there is why your eyes hurt , sorry

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thanks a lot for your help and fast reply
so , i was starting fresh and re-instal last version of osmc via microsd
added my freenas location
started the log procedure
started playback of a random movie
mediainfo here : https://paste.osmc.tv/amayucajir.tex
played for about 10min than stop
many skip encountered like expected
and upload log : https://paste.osmc.tv/hopocazota

thanks a lot , i hope i made everything correctly

You log was empty. Before trying another log, please confirm that you have your video settings like this:

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

1 Like

Oh My God!! Thank You
i have applied your setting and now its seem to work
i cant understand why this setting are not default
i feel like an idiot now
thanks again

Good to hear. Don’t worry, it’s a very common mistake that people make.

@bmillham
Why do you call it a “mistake that people make”? It’s not a mistake that people make, if they have the device on default settings.
If there are so many problems with the default settings, maybe it would indeed be better to change those default settings. But I don’t know, if that’s in your responsibility or in team Kodi’s.

1 Like

We tried changing the adjust refresh rate setting to be on by default once, but we got a lot of backlash from users

Sam

1 Like

I totally understand that, but bmillhams respond sounds like the normal user is too stupid to get his settings right.

I didn’t think his response read that way at all. He just commented that it wasn’t uncommon.

1 Like

Yeah but it I wouldn’t call it a mistake. I agree that people who use a software like Kodi are at least a little bit more into tec stuff than people who buy e.g. a Fire TV stick with Amazon and Netflix to get started streaming immediatly, but many people don’t assume that they have to change those settings to specific values. They have no reason to think, that e.g. setting the UI res to 2160p would cause problems.

The issue is largely a Kodi growing pain. Once their developers have transitioned their software to deal better with the capabilities of today’s modern equipment, this problem will no longer exist.

1 Like

I too am a semi-nerd and I too had a hell of a time setting up the Vero 4k+ to get it to work right and to understand some of the even most basic settings. I said at the time we need some sort of manual (NO - NOT the wiki which is not particularly helpful) for basic setup of this device and to tell us what all the different settings mean: there are a LOT of them.
Agreed - for a beginner (even a semi- savvy one) it’s a bit of a potential minefield.

As explained before – we are working on improving the Wiki. I would still suggest keeping the paper documents very thin and referring people to check online where we can ever improve the manual on demand as well as the possibility of adapting it for multiple languages in the future.

Cheers

Sam