Update 2017.10 (Kodi 17.5) is behaving strangely with webdav

Hi all.

I just upgraded to OSMC 2017.10, that includes a new Kodi 17.5.

After this upgrade, updating the webdav library is VERY slow. It takes ages. Checking the webdav server log file, I see this:

For EACH film/tvshow in the webdav library, Kodi is doing a HEAD request to the path “FILM/.nomedia” or “EPISODE/.nomedia”. Those are NOT directories, they are files. It looks like Kodi is thinking that everything is a directory. The server is replying with 404 (not found), but the process is extremely slow and annoying. A library update used to take five minutes, now it takes hours.

Worse, the situation first affected only a webdav directory, but now it is affecting all of them (after a couple of days). No changes in my OSMC client or webdav server configuration.

I have checked that my scrapper has NO “each film is inside a directory with its name” flag. I haven’t changed anything in my configuration in the last few weeks.

Anybody else can reproduce?.

Thanks for your time and attention.

I took a quick scan but could not see any change for webdav

Yes, I did a quick “git diff” between version 17.4 and 17.5 and I didn’t see anything relevant in the code, although I am not familiar with Kodi internals.

Nevertheless, the webdav logs are quite clear :-).

I have compiled Kodi 17.4 and 17.5 in my Ubuntu laptop. 17.4 seems to work fine. 17.5 works fine some times and other times it does the “.nomedia” requests.

So, this seems to be a regression in Kodi 17.5.

Anybody else can confirm?

So you are seeing the problem on Ubuntu as well? Then you should take this up with the Kodi forums.

We believe this is a Kodi issue or a specific Kodi function and as such you should look at addressing the issue there. We are unable to resolve your issue. If you do believe that this is an OSMC specific issue, please let us know.

Just released Kodi 17.6 has the same issue.

After investigation, this is a KODI issue, not OSMC. Nevertheless, I would like some other people using OSMC and experiencing the same issue to be able to find details here.

I would love to see this patched in OSMC as soon as upstream KODI has a fix even if XBMC team doesn’t do a proper KODI release.

This is now being tracked upstream: Issues · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

My guess is that there will not be a fix until 18, as 17.6 was said to be the last release for 17.x.

Yes, I also read about Kodi 17.6 being the last 17.x release. Do you know what is the 18.0 ETA?.

What would be the procedure to request the reversion of a patch in Kodi version deployed in OSMC?.

This issue is killing me. Badly. I just simply can’t update my library because it is hurting a lot.

Since we now know which pull requests is hurting, is it unreasonable to request a rollback of it in OSMC distribution?.

IIRC, there are precedents for it (OSMC distributing stock Kodi + local patches).

Thanks a lot.

Well, you could always fix it yourself since you know the PR that caused the problem :wink:

It’s up to Sam if he will backport a fix, but since there is actually no fix (just a PR that apparently caused the problem) then there is actually no fix to backport.

If it’s really that much of a problem for you, then maybe you should downgrade OSMC back to where it was working until the Kodi people come up with a fix.

I guess there are plenty of other people experiencing this. I suppose I am not the only user accessing a webdav share from OSMC.

The original patch is only two lines long. Reverting it locally in OSMC seems doable… If I find the right way to ask for it :).

Thanks!.

I’m now working on a resolution.

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

I am out of town. I will give it a try next Tuesday.

Thanks a lot!.

Hi, Sam. I have spend a couple of days testing this preview. These are my results:

1. This preview release solves the massive “.nomedia” requests. Nice. Thanks.

2. I see occasional accesses inside directories marked with “.nomedia”. This is apparently a bug in Kodi >17.4, since I don’t see this in Kodi 17.4. This is probably the reason of the original patch causing the regression. This only happens from time to time, so I guess there are some kind of race condition somewhere. Personally I find this far more tolerable that the massive “.nomedia” requests and the multi hour library updates.

I think that OSMC should keep your patch (“backouting” the original KODI patch) until Kodi itself solves the real issue.

Thanks for paying attention to feedback, Sam. Looking forward for 2017.11 OSMC release.

Agreed. Thanks for giving it some proper testing. It will be included in the next release.

Sam