Update end Oct - OSMC does not boot anymore -Vero HW failure?

Sam will do.

Just don’t hold your breath since I’m really OVERworked for the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
Bob

Sam,
bad news here.

Had to turn off the Vero (shutdown and unplug power) to connect another device.

Upon rebooting it with the NON Sandisk card that was working allright I get the dreaded message again :frowning: :frowning:

Identical to the picture I had posted a few posts above this one.

I am starting to lose hope.

Ideas ?

Sam,
I am trying to do what you suggested. Vero with June kernel boot allright.
When I try to wget the first file though it fails with a file not found error.
Ideas ? Can I just get 1.9.5 instead ?

No it seems I can’t. Waiting for updated instructions:

-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 988 Nov 23 11:18 vero-kernel.deb
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo dpkg -i vero-kernel.deb
(Reading database … 22794 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack vero-kernel.deb …
Unpacking vero-kernel-osmc (1.9.5) over (1.4.2) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vero-kernel-osmc:
vero-kernel-osmc depends on vero-image-4.1.12-7-osmc; however:
Package vero-image-4.1.12-7-osmc is not installed.
dpkg: error processing package vero-kernel-osmc (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
vero-kernel-osmc

Hi rjalex,

I posted these instructions two weeks ago, and while you were away we worked with some other users to ensure the issue is fixed. Some of the files you are trying to download have changed / been deleted, which is why the above instructions no longer work. The good news is the consensus is that the issue is fixed (from the Dependency failed thread), so I will make that kernel publicly available shortly via an OSMC update.

Sam

Hi Sam et al,
I had a Vero which was unused for a couple of months (baby arrived!) and yesterday I booted it up, and did an update from My OSMC. I don’t know the previous version I’m afraid. It took a while, then hung for 2.5 hours at this screen: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/m461i3raorzbfz4/AADmZ--14H_FZhylz012EGjma
I presumed it would not recover having been stuck for 2.5 hours at 87%, so I pulled the power. On power up it did not produce any screen output at all, despite several tries and leaving it overnight.
I read this thread and whilst I have no storage attached, I replaced the shipped 8GB Sandisk micro SD card with another brand (32GB FWIW) having installed the October Vero image using the Windows installer. Everything now seems fine.
I put the old Sandisk SD card back in and now I get the following: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/887jf5tv42fxs0f/AADZSjSrSnSw4GKggmWDysrTa
Ultimately I can just use the 32GB card going forward, or even re-image the Sandisk 8GB card, but if there is anything else you wanted me to try (before I destroy the evidence so to speak) I’m happy to assist as an additional datapoint or test case!
Cheers,
Jamie
(Sorry, new user, so could only link to Dropbox for photos, not upload them inline into this post!)

Thanks for the screen shots. I’m pretty certain I know what that is.

In the October update we marked some configuration files including /etc/connman.conf as “conffiles”, this means that you can edit them to customise them and they won’t be overwritten in future updates.

Unfortunately as a side effect if you update from the pre-release (RC, RC2, RC3) releases of OSMC directly to the October update, the update will get stuck prompting you for a response to a question you can’t see or respond to, thus the apparent hang.

If you had updated to any intermediate version first the update to the October version would have proceeded smoothly. Unfortunately we didn’t anticipate this when we made these changes in the October update, so apologies for that. Only those who had never previously updated from an RC release were affected, so fortunately only small number of people would have been affected. (I’ve only seen two other forum posts about it)

The services failing to start in the second picture will be a result of a number of half installed packages that would have been extracted but not configured.

If you can still log in via SSH it should actually be possible to recover the installation and resume the update successfully at the command line using the right commands - let me know if you want to try that. As a start you could try:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Post any errors that you get from that. If you don’t have anything you particularly care about on the card you could just re-image it with the latest release and you should be fine.

Thanks DBMandrake, your explanation all makes sense and a fast reply too! FYI, I get the following when I run the first dpkg command:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: error: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system

If it is too much effort to troubleshoot (and I’m hijacking this thread too) then I’ll just re-image the original Sandisk 8GB card with the October release.
Thanks,
Jamie

You seem to have file system corruption that typically is a result improper shutdowns (plug pulling or hardware deficiency) that would be common among many linux distributions under such circumstances, not just OSMC. You might be able to recover the system by using another linux system to fsck the partitions on the card.

Try:

sudo fsck /

And follow the prompts. Then reboot then try the other commands again.

Thanks for the replies ActionA and DBMandrake. In the end (without another Linux device handy) I just re-imaged the Sandisk card, and all is working great :smile:

Thank you Sam. So for now I’m keeping the June version which keeps me alive.

How do I know when it will be time to say YES to the upgrade ? If I do it now I’ll end up with October’s which might screw up things, right ?

The monthly updates are always followed by a post from @sam_nazarko on osmc.tv
So you would know about it when checking the forum. Most likely will happen within the next 3 days.

1 Like

Hi Sam, you will see from my post on the original thread (Dependancy failed for local file system. After July update - #158 by tombertie) that this original problem doesn’t seem to have been resolved.

OUCH !!! Vero v1, OSMC just updated today. Vero does not boot anymore AGAIN as before.

Best revert to June version or what ? :frowning:

PS Shipping estimate for Vero2 ?

I see you sent me a PM as well and replied to this

Cheers

Sam