Update error insufficient space

Hi,

On my OSMC Raspberry Pi 2. 8GB sd card.
Downloaded Oct update but did not install due the the warning of issues.

Now with the fixed version it appears to download the update but issues an error that update fails due to insufficient memory.

osmc@osmc:/$ sudo df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 369M 0 369M 0% /dev
tmpfs 374M 9.8M 364M 3% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7.0G 6.3G 279M 96% /
tmpfs 374M 0 374M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 374M 0 374M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 240M 24M 216M 10% /boot
/dev/sda1 1.4T 408G 990G 30% /media/MEDIA
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1000

Any ideas what is wrong here?
It looks like /dev/mmcblk0p2 is now too full and that is the issue?

Thanks.

Yeah, seems like it, you need to check which files are occupying space and remove them (most probably old library data).

Try going to settings media library, then change the settings level to advanced and select clean library. Kodi will remove all data related to movies that are no longer present on the drive.

You can narrow down where the space is being used with:

sudo du -hs /*

You probably will see some errors, but it will tell you what directories are using the space. You can then zoom in from there.

I’d normally tell you to install ncdu, but installing something right now probably would not work.

Hi,

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo du -hs /*

3.9G /home

looks like the culprit? What should I Cull?

Thanks.

You can narrow it down with:

du -hs * .kodi

and if .kodi seems to be using the space:

du -hs .kodi/*

You probably should consider getting a larger SD card. With an 8GB card you probably will have this happen again.

du -hs .kodi/*

3.2G .kodi/userdata

That does narrow things down but I’m not sure what can go?

I will be getting a larger sd card when I upgrade to Raspberry Pi 4.

Thanks.

It’s probably the thumbnail cache. Why not just get a larger SD card now? They are not that expensive.

You could narrow things down more:

du -hs .kodi/userdata/*

(I hope you are seeing the pattern on how do do this!)

Hi,

Yes you are right on all counts.

Drilling down further it IS the Thumbnails (I am completely stunned that they occupy so much space) !!

A new sd card is now added to my urgent shopping list.

Thanks so much for your help.

1 Like

No problem!

I suggest to also prune the old thumbnails that are not needed anymore using the official texture cache maintenance utility [RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility

1 Like

Hi, sorry to revive this thread.

I have a new 32GB SD card to replace the current 8GB and I am checking what is the currently recommended way to transfer all data to the new card?

Thanks.

You could just use the MyOSMC backup utility to backup the .kodi directory, and then do a fresh install in the new card. Once you are back running with the default settings you can then restore the .kodi directory.

If you want to just clone the current 8GB card, you’d need to have another system running linux that has an SD card slot. If you don’t have a linux system, then you could get a live USB version, like Gparted Live. That would allow you to dd the entire 8GB card and restore it to the new 32GB card. After restoring you’d have a 32GB card, but the partition would still only be 8GB, so you would then use gparted to grow the 8GB partition to fill the card. This is the way I would do it. (and have done it).

You could also clone it in Windows with win32diskimager and then leave it as the smaller partition if your not planning on actually using the space. If all of your media is stored elsewhere 8GB is normally plenty of room for even very large libraries. You can always expand it out later with Gparted later if you find you need more room.

The reason for upgrading the card is due to insufficient space on the current card (with media stored externally) so the intention is to use the full capacity of the new card.

I have looked at https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/backing-up-settings/ but I am unclear on where the backup is actually stored (usb drive/nas/other?) I also am unsure of the restore procedure?

Thanks.

That article seems to be quite outdated and the backup is part of the log section of the MyOSMC add-on now. You tell it where you want to store the backup and what to backup. The default is all the important bits of the .kodi folder other than the thumbnails (which should self replicate on demand on a restore without the originals). Restoring from the backup would just be a matter of installing OSMC on the new SD and then opening MyOSMC and telling it to restore from the same place you told it to backup from. This backup is only specific to Kodi so any system level changes such as system mounts, Samba server, etc. would have to be redone.

I have reloaded OSMC quite a few times personally and because I am much more comfortable working with Windows I actually just access the SD card over the network and drag the userdata folder over to my PC for a backup and drag it back for a restore (stopping Kodi first of course). It is not particularly elegant or fast, but it takes a minimal amount of time actually interacting with it so it works well enough for me.

Hi
strangwise I am having the same problem.
but df -h
is showing lots of space

error message: can not update : insufficient space, free some space…

any hints please

df -h
Dateisystem Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
devtmpfs 368M 0 368M 0% /dev
tmpfs 373M 9,8M 364M 3% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 1,4G 13G 10% /
tmpfs 373M 0 373M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5,0M 0 5,0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 373M 0 373M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 41M 25M 16M 62% /boot
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1000

Your boot partition is that the problem.
Looks like your using something different than a plain OSMC install

thanks strange, will check
what is the normal partition size of boot?

`

/dev/mmcblk0p1 316M 30M 287M 10% /boot

`