Update failed for mediacenter-addon-osmc_3.0.618_all.deb

Hi, I was installing the June update when I got an unknown error. So I logged in on my Vero2 with ssh and performed apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade and got the following error message:

The following packages will be upgraded:
_ mediacenter-addon-osmc_
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/18.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database … 22333 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/mediacenter-addon-osmc_3.0.618_all.deb …
Unpacking mediacenter-addon-osmc (3.0.618) over (3.0.617) …
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip read error: ‘fd:4: invalid stored block lengths’
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mediacenter-addon-osmc_3.0.618_all.deb (–unpack):
_ cannot copy extracted data for ‘./usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/skins/Default/media/background.png’ to ‘/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/skins/Default/media/background.png.dpkg-new’: unexpected end of file or stream_
Errors were encountered while processing:
_ /var/cache/apt/archives/mediacenter-addon-osmc_3.0.618_all.deb_
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What seems to be the problem? Did anybody have any error message like this with the June update? Thanks in advance!

You have filesystem corruption

Hi Sam, thanks for the quick reply. How can I find out which partition has filesystem corruption and how to fix it?

I think we have mentioned it now more than once that you should never run apt-get upgrade as it potentially could ruin your installation. You always should run apt-get dist-upgrade instead.

But regarding your filesystem problem it would “/” that fails, maybe @DBMandrake can give a hint how to access rescue mode on Vero2 to run filecheck on the NAND.

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the advice. I did a apt-get clean and with dist-upgrade afterwards the problem was solved. The error is now gone.

Regarding the file system corruption, I have enabled force check in rcS script. Will this work?

Thank you for your support.

Eric

No need for that. We already perform a file system check in the initramfs during an earlier part of the bootup process.